cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Norton Utilities

Alecto
Grafter

I've been using Norton Utilities to do regular reassuring stuff like correct registry conflicts, identify file problems I didn't know about and generally make sure that everything in Windows is where it should be and pointing to where it should point. It also "optimises the disk to make your applications run faster".

I assume it serves some useful purpose since crashes in Windows ME are not frequent.

Can anyone recommend a less intrusive alternative that I can run regularly that checks Windows, my registry and disk are OK, and sorts them out if they're not?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Geoff,

Probably not the answer you wanted, but, my suggestion would be to by an XP OEM disc and upgrade you system. You wont have to worry about Norton, or any other program, battleing to keep ME stable anymore. You should be able to pick up an oem version under £60 and some sensible distros are even bundling a "free" mouse to ensure you are complying with MS licensing.
Alecto
Grafter

That's true Mark, it isn't.
I don't have the memory or processing power to run XP well and am saving that for when I replace the machine.

And presumably XP, being even more complex than ME, will also cause conflicts and erroneous loggings in the registry , pointers going the wrong way ., file fragmentation leading to slow running etc.

So surely you need some similar tool on XP anyway?
N/A

Fair enough Geoff,

however ME is inherently unstable. Whilst not perfect, XP is less troublesome and requires less attention. The need for tools such as Norton Utilities is, in my view, negated.

XP problems are generally easier to fix and the use of system restore, whilst included in ME, is a much better job.

A carefully maintained, updated and virus checked XP system should be much more stable and enjoyable than 100 ME systems put together.
MarkAngel
Grafter

If you dont want to make the leap to XP yet (Crazy man), give Advanced Unintaller Pro a gander, as it has useful parts of it that scans reg files for missing links etc, amongst other useful bit. its well worth a look.

http://www.innovative-sol.com/uninstaller/

Mark
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks Mark
That looks to be just the sort of thing.
I'll give it a try.
craigbrass
Grafter

Yea, must admit that an install of XP Pro + McAfee Security Suite + Adaware SE keeps all the crap away for me!

I used ME for about 4 months in the time before XP and it was the most utter piece of junk I had ever seen tbh. Crashes were just unreal. Got XP as soon as it come out and got rid of all them probs.

Edit: And don't forget using FireFox insted of IE!
Rich
Grafter

I don't have the memory or processing power to run XP well and am saving that for when I replace the machine.

You don't need that much power to run XP. It will run acceptably on a P2-350MHz - of course you need a sensible amount of RAM - 384Mb does the trick unless you are running 'hungry' software as well.

Regards
Richard.
craigbrass
Grafter

And you can actually build a decent XP machine for £250 - £300 or if your not litterate in this area, you can have one custom built for you at http://www.envizage.com/pc/