cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice before I buy

N/A

Advice before I buy

I had some great advice from this forum so thought I would try again. I am building my own computer and getting the bits together but can't decide or (understand) the differences between motherboards.

The two motherboards i am looking at are

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-087-AS) £82.19

and

Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS) £72.79

I can get these boards quickly and cheaper which is one of the reasons I am going with them. They are both in my price range but don't know which one to go with.

For example what does the SLi thing mean.

Any advice appreciated or advice on better ASUS boards
8 REPLIES
N/A

Advice before I buy

SLi is the NVIDIA way for linking two (or now more) graphics cards together to give better results in games, check google for more information on this. It allows you to plug in Two cards (via the PCIe slots) and they are seen as one more powerfull one basicaly.

Get the one you think will be better for you, but seeing as you dont know what SLI is, I would have to assume you dont game, thus go for the other one.
N/A

Advice before I buy

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do game but mainly console gaming.

Fed up with consoles so want to get into building pc's and putting my personality on them. I also want to get into video editing e.t.c.

I'm waiting for a book to be delivered to explain more things to me but would appreciate any links.
N/A

Re: Advice before I buy

The two motherboards i am looking at are

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-087-AS) £82.19
and
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS) £72.79

Hi,

both are very good motherboards, if you need the extra features that the A8N SLi Deluxe offers the go for it then go for it as it gives you room for future upgrades.

The Deluxe has SLI cababilities (twin graphics) if your a serious gamer, dual onbaord LAN, 10 USB ports and loads of RAID options.

Only problem i have found with this board is the northbridge chipset fan is a tad noisy, other than that its perfect.
_lecro_
Grafter

Advice before I buy

I would suggest going for the SLi so you can upgrade the gpu at a later date if needed

btw what cpu are you using
N/A

Advice before I buy

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core 64 bit or higher depending on the dosh situation.

Any idea what the venice means?

I'll get the sli then thanks
N/A

Advice before I buy

its just the core they used, there are different ones like winchester etc, if your using a 3000+ then there is so no point in gettin the SLi board, as you wont want to be wasting 1500 on twin gfx cards.

also the fact that you will need to upgrade again to juse Vista would probably mean you shouldnt bother updating untill it is released.

(you will need DX10 and cards that support HD output with DRM, and if you read /. etc you will know that NO cards on the market at the moment support this)

for links on SLi etc, just use google // tomshardwareguide // bit-tech

should cover most of your questions
N/A

Advice before I buy

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core 64 bit or higher depending on the dosh situation.

Any idea what the venice means?

Yep the Venice is just the core name, when released it has a few changes over its predecessor the "Winchester" like SSE3 technology which gives better memory options also 90nm tech allows them to run cooler.

Currently you can get:

3000+ Venice 90nm 512KB L2 cache
3200+ Venice 90nm 512KB L2 cache
3500+ Venice 90nm 512KB L2 cache
3800+ Venice 90nm 512KB L2 cache
3700+ San Diego 90nm 1MB L2 cache
4000+ San Diego 90nm 1MB L2 cache

You say you can possibly stretch a little more for the cpu? if that’s the case get the 3700+ San Diego without doubt.
Dodgydog
Grafter

sli deluxe board

a little word of caution on the asus sli deluxe board ( i have 2 ,one with a 3200 cpu and the other with a fx55 ) on both boards the north bridge fan failed in about 4 months.
a better replacement is only 6 pound
other than that is a stonking board and really flys for gaming with the fx55 and 2xgeoforce 6800s