cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a new DVD Rewriter advice required

laurian
Dabbler

I have a MESH MAtrix PC which is nearly 2 years old. I already have a DVD ROM drive in Bay 1, a CD-Rwriter in Bay 2. I've just bought an LG DVD Rewriter and am intending to add this to Bay 3. These 2 optical devices are on the same IDE cable (primary socket) with the DVD ROM drive set as master and the other drive as SLAVE.

I realise I need to add the new drive to the secondary socket with a new IDE cable. Question is......do I set the new drive as MASTER or SLAVE?

Second question, I can see that the CPU fan is caked with dust. I would have to remove the front on the fan casing to get to it. Any advice, dos and donts would be appreciated. My intention is to take the vacuum cleaner to it!

Thank

Ian Fidler
30th Sep 04
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I assume your hard disk is on the secondary channel? If so its probably set to primary, or set to cable select. In either case set the HDD to primary and the DVD Writer to secondary, although it may slow your machine down.

do you really need a CD ROM, DVD ROM and DVD Writer?

Chris
Community Veteran

I assume you also have a hard disk? This means you are already using up 3 out of the 4 possible IDE connections.

I'm also guessing your hard disk is on the primary controller and set as the master and your 2 CD/DVD drives are on the secondary controller, one set to master and the other set to slave.

This means the only place you can fit your new drive is as the slave on the primary controller.

You need to check which controller each device is fitted then determin which controller you will be fitting the new drive and this is likely to be a slave whether it's on the primary or secondary controller anyway.

As for the CPU fan cleaning, I'm not sure I understand your comment about removing the front on the fan casing. Normally CPU heatsink fans (which I presume is what you are talking about) can just be unscrewed from the heatsink and cleaned. I use a cotton wool swab , slightly damp to clean the fins having first removed the main dust with a paint brush. Also make sure you remember which way round the fan is fitted. If you fit it upside down it will blow air away from the heatsink fins rather than towards them.

You should not use a vacuum within the case because if you get too near the motherbooad, it may suck up any links on the board. All fans (including case fans) are best cleaned by hand out of the case.
laurian
Dabbler

Good advice received on adding new drive

I've had a couple of good replies. Now I come to think of it I dont really need so many optical drives!! And it looks as though I could do more harm than good if I trya nd get a 3rd going. I'm going to unistall my DVD-ROM drive and replace with the new LG one. I'm also adding a second hard disk...that looks straight forward enough.

As for cleaning the CPU fan, I take the advice to not use the vacuum (which I have done in the past) and swab the beast gently.

Thanks for the prompt and useful replies.

Ian Fidler
30th Sept 04