cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding More Ram?

N/A

Adding More Ram?

Hi,

I bought a Fujitsu Siemens T-Bird (from NicePc.co.uk) a little while ago. In some games, I find that performance is frankly..terrible. I only have 256mb of ram, so I'm looking to upgrade it.

However, I have no idea what to look for, and don't want to have shelled out £50 to find out it's incompatible.

I was wondering if anyone could help. I can find out most stuff, but what about pins?

You can see the details of my motherboard/system here.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Adding More Ram?

Ram is all ways a bit dodge to buy. Take the one out of your pc and go to a good shop and ask for one that matches the one you have and ask if you can return it if it wont work.

Most good shops will do this for you.
N/A

Adding More Ram?

Oh ok, thanks. I know a few good independent local stores I think would do that Smiley
N/A

Adding More Ram?

Alternativly, try using the ram finder on Crucial UK

They gurentee there memory, if you use the selection process to pick your mainboard.
N/A

Adding More Ram?

That's the thing, I can't seem to find my mainboard manufacturer. From test results all I get is Fujitsu-Siemens.

Anyway, (with tons of help from Thomas) I've figured I need SD ram [pc133].

The only thing left is pins. 168 or 144. I heard 144 is much shorter, and for laptops. Is that correct?
Community Veteran

Adding More Ram?

Here's an idea...

Open your tower case, pull out your current RAM stick, and count the pins on it. Tongue

Thomas
N/A

Adding More Ram?

Don't use SiSoft to obtain this.

SiSoft will use I/O lookups to find this info, and in many cases,t eh results are false.

EG. Look at USB ADSL modems. You buy a peice of kit with the name Zoom on it, however, you plug it in, and it searches for connexant drivers. Catch my drift.

The MB should have some sort of marking on the board, even if not a maker. These can usualy be typed into google, to obtain the makers name.
N/A

Adding More Ram?

In addition, use the Belarc Advisor from Crucial to help.

Obtain it from HERE
N/A

Adding More Ram?

Okey, well I've got it all sorted. I ordered 256mb stick of SD [pc133] cl2..whatever that means. Just hope it works *crosses fingers*.
N/A

Adding More Ram?

Hi,

I think you will be ok. Most DRAM chips are backwardly compatible so if you buy the latest and fastest (on the right size DIMM) you should be ok. Also, a lot of BIOS setups let you switch off certain DRAM features if you're installing old modules which don't support a certain feature.

In the old days they introduced "Fast Page Mode" as a DRAM feature - most Mother boards could be set to run with or without this. Later we got EDO and synchronous DRAM with more and more features... and they still get better and faster. Fast DRAM will work with a slow bus (in general) but not the other way round. Some BIOS's let you run the DRAM bus a a lower rate too if you've got old DRAM. Any DRAM is about 1000 times faster than using swap space on a hard disk so it can be worth the fiddle if you're short of cash.

Oh, make sure you buy the right width... a few PC's still insist on parity (though you can often switch this off)... e.g. step back one generation of modules - most DIMM's were 32 bit wide but if you HAD to have parity checking you had no option but to buy 36 bit wide DIMMs (same physical size). 36 bit DIMMs would always work in a 32 bit socket.

Any help? General rather than Mother Board specific. Cheesy