cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add/Remove Windows Components Problem

Fixes: 133

I needed to install Windows Fax Service and that is where my problems began:

I used Add/remove Windows Components from within Control Panel - Add/Remove Program.

After completion I noted that Internet Explorer and Outlook Exporess no longer worked. It seems that I hadn't noticed that they were automatically ticked in the above dialogue box so were removed.

I then attempted to add them back making sure only those two items were ticked yet the Fax Service was removed. Eventually it seemed that all were working OK.

Then I found that things like the Calculator & Character selector had disappeared along with all MS games (Spider, etc.)

I got those back only to find OE and IE missing again even though these were NOT ticked.

Although I can find where the games are to add again I cannot find the Calculator and Character selector.

Either way, how do I add components such that those already installed do not get uninstalled>

Any help appreciated.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES

Just to add I have also noticed that the Speaker icon in the right hand task bar has gone.

When I attempt to click on either Volume buttons in 'Sound and Audio Devices Properties I get the following error:

Windows cannot execute SndVol32.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel to install.

Unfortunately, I cannot see where it can be installed from.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately these are all in the list of windows components, in the same place you went before from the add/remove programs section. It might be that you need to scroll down the list and ensure that you have added everything you might need, then let it install from the windows disk. It sounds like a number of other items may have been ticked last time you did this.

Alternatively you could try rolling back to a system restore point (if you're using windows XP) as this should restore all the services you've lost.

Hope this helps,

Last time I did it only the items I required were ticked yet still I seem to have lost the audio control and games Sad

Maybe it will be better to attempt a System Restore.

Edit:

I just attempted to add the Accessories and Utilities components. Nothing else was ticked yet Faxing was removed as well as Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Windows Media Player!!!!

All the Accesories and Utilitioes are back, though. Surely, this is not how the Add/Remove Components was designed to work?

I have assumed, from the wording, that ticking just toggles add or remove Viz. If it it ticked and already installed it is removed; if it it ticked and not there it is added and if not ticked then nothing is supposed to happen.

Could anyone confirm this for me?

Edit 2:

I have now got everything back by ticking all the options I wanted whether they were previously installed or not. It certainly doesn't appear to work as described.

N/A

Ticking items

It must be how you see it. Preconditioned by something else? Now I would have thought ticking all the items that you want installed - whether they were or not at the time - installs, or does not remove, the ones selected. (Select the ones you want) I have learnt to assume nothing having been married twice. Most men's problems come from assuming something; but that is another topic.

@jhardaker

Perhaps I mislead you...

I expected that any items ticked would be installed if currently not and removed if currently installed. Those that were not ticked I expected no change.

But that doesn't seem to be what is happening.

Yep, married twice and know the rules Wink Shockedops:

pjemmanuel
Grafter

I expected that any items ticked would be installed if currently not and removed if currently installed. Those that were not ticked I expected no change.

I'm pretty sure that the way the system works is...

Ticked:
If the item is not installed - install it.
If the item is installed - do nothing.

Unticked.
If the item is installed - uninstall it
If the item is not installed - do nothing.

So, when you open up the add/remove windows components, some items will be ticked - this represents what is installed on your system. Anything you tick now, will be added, anything you untick will be removed.