cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active X

metbury
Grafter

Active X

I would like some help on Active X please if there is anyone with the patience to help me through a problem with it. First of all I have to tell you that I don't have a clue what Active X is for but I know that when I want to listen to some Podcasts my computer tells me that Axtive X has a problem running, other Podcasts work with out a problem.

As I don't have much of a clue what I am doing with the computer, other than using it, could you spell out the steps I need to take without jargon please?
TIA Eileen
6 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Active X

Hi Eileen

ActiveX is an embeded protocol used by web designers to activate flash, movie sound etc within web pages, have a read through this ActiveX tutorial and also this ActiveX description it will go some way to help you understand what it does

You can also do a google search of activeX which brings up many sites and different apps

It sounds like your security settings are probably set too high in IE you could try setting them to default and see if it helps

Right click internet explorer select properties then go to security where you can set to default and go through the various activex controls

Is it just the podcasts your having problems with or are there other sites that bring up the same error ?

Bill.
metbury
Grafter

Active X

Bill,
Many thanks for trying to sort me out. My security setting were set at "low" and when I reset them they were on "medium". I have just tried to run the podcast again and got the same message "the plugin did not initialize". I don't think that I have had any messages like this before but then I do not normally try to go beyond my boundaries. I use the computer for e-mails/ Internet/ Word/ embroidery files / patchwork designs and graphic files only. I have been able to run some podcasts (related to patchwork and quilting) but not others and being curious I wanted to know why I could not run these others but it is not vital and I can live without them. Many thanks for being so kind.
Eileen
N/A

Active X

Eileen what OS are you running? If you are running Windows 2003 server there are problems with activeX which are easy enough to circumvent but require a different strategy.

Are you behind a hardware firewall such as a Watchguard Firebox edge? If you are prepare for some complex configuration to allow activeX - not easy but again - if you are, I can tell you how to go about it!

The other possibility is if you are using firfox or opera. These, due to inherent security, block ActiveX. They can be fooled to an extent but i would not advise it!

The other option is you have a very strong firewall such as Jetico. In this case, get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it - or ask me as I am using it!
N/A

Active X

First of all I have to tell you that I don't have a clue what Active X is for ... As I don't have much of a clue what I am doing with the computer, other than using it

Eileen what OS are you running? If you are running Windows 2003 server there are problems with activeX which are easy enough to circumvent

I think we can safely rule Server 2003 out Wink
N/A

Active X

well contact me on my hotmail account I am sure i can sort this out for you!

benpetbull@hotmail.com
metbury
Grafter

Active X

First of all let me thank you all for being so kind and taking time to sort me out!

I shall copy two urls below, the first shows the podcasts which would not work on my computer, they are the ones which caused me to write the plea for help. The second url is another route to the same podcasts but from here they work perfectly. I also found three more sites with different poscasts and they have not given any problems at all. From this I surmise that the first url may have something wrong with it and it was possibly not my computer which was the problem. As you will have gathered from my posts I don't know what I am doing with anything technical and am reluctant to alter things on my computer as I often find I alter one thing and another goes wrong. However from time to time I have had to resort to asking on this forum for help and my request has always been answered and my problems solved.

http://www.podcast.net/show/77354

http://www.podcastingnews.com/details/www.simplearts.com/blogs/quiltingstash.rss/view.htm

Thanks again, Eileen