cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to my router and a PC via the web?

colin_thames

Hi, can anyone offer help or point me to an easy introduction to this subject?

I've got a fixed IP on Plusnet broadband. My Belkin adsl router can apparently be accessed from the net with a password which I've set up. But if I type in my Plusnet IP address I get referred to Google saying "sorry no info is available on [the IP]". How do I do this?

I'd like to be able to leave files in a shared folder on one PC (XP) to allow access via the net with a password. The router should also allow me to create 'virtual servers' after entering LAN IP address, protocol, LAN port and public port.

Any help gratefully appreciated.
4 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

I just time out when attempting to connect to you. Have you enabled a remote administration setting in the router?

I don't use your particular router and so have no idea where this setting would be
Community Veteran

You should also change the port number the rootter is listening on, i.e. don't use 80 or 8080 which are common, just chose a randon port below 65535 so it's less likely to be hacked. Also make sure you have changed the routers default login/password.

As above I have no knowledge of the router so can't give specific config instructions but the manual should explain what to do.
colin_thames

Michael, how did you know what my IP address was? I'm not sure how to enter the IP address in my browser to access my router from outside. Oh, and can I try this on a computer connected through the same router to the internet?

Peter, Not sure how I can set the port it listens to. The instructions are pathetic from Belkin. I've tried your suggestion but not sure how to do it so it didn't work - what settings should I use? The settings neeeded are:
LAN IP Address, Protocol Type (choice of TCP, UDP or both), LAN Port, Public Port.

Colin
N/A

Finding your IP is a slight fault of this forum. Your username is shown, so your IP can be found by adding your ISP to it, in this case plus.com (this is your Plusnet domain name)
Using a resolver lookup, you can then get the IP
Similarly, knowing someones IP, you can get their domain name.
Put your username (xxxx.plus.com - I have ommited the actual name so webbots do not pick it up) into this tool and you will see your IP (and you can do vice versa.
http://monitor.plus.net/tools.php

To access your router from outside your home, you need to open a port within the router to accept communication and have remote administration allowed.
It does beg the question, why do you want to access the router config pages from a remote location, this is a real security hole and would seem pointless.

To allow someone to get files off a PC on your home network is a different matter and would not involve accessing your router from outside, just using a port you have opened.
I would suggest doing a little research on setting up a home FTP server. There is lots of info on the net if you do a search.

Incidentally, to access a system through a open port would be :
http://212.xxx.xxx.123:2345, where 212.xxx.xxx.123 and 2345 is the port number you have opened for communication.