cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied

N/A

Access denied

My idea was this.
Install Vista on a new SATA drive. Old 'C' drive now becomes 'D' drive. Copy data which I now need onto 'C' drive. Problem is I cannot access the data on old 'C' drive whch is now the 'D' drive. I get message 'Access denied'. Any thoughts anyone.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES
Njal
Grafter

Access denied

Have a look at:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread48946.html

It's for XP not Vista, but may give some pointers.

MS also have something to try:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/31ad4562-aee7-4fed-8316-89114dc973031033.mspx

Regards,

Neil
N/A

Access denied

I did go through the process of trying to obtain permissions by opening the properties for the drive, going to security, selecting myself ( I am the only user so I have admin rights) and then altering the permissions. When it tries to do this I get a message which says that an error occured when applying security infomation. I also note that if I try and look at the properties of the drive it says it is full (it is not) and I cannot use any tools on it. It is just not accessable. I know it still works as if I change the HD boot order, my old installation, XP Professional, still boots.
N/A

Access denied

You could try booting from the old drive creating a folder for all the files you want and set the permissions to everyone and then try.
In Vista you should be able to take ownership of the folder and sub folders or set it to everyone with full access.

You could try mounting the old disk in diskmanager as a folder off drive c which may solve it

Vista gives you the option to backup your old progs and data you should have done that and then restored it.
N/A

Access denied

Haveing now booted from my old drive in to XP I see that in fact I do not have access to my c:\ I do have permission to see it. So it would appear it is not a problem with Vista not being able to access it, it seems that i have lost my permissions anyway.
N/A

Access denied

Just in case anyone is interested, my solution.
I backed up the old C drive to my new drive using XP backup utility as it seemed that windows could see the drive even if I could not. I removed any permissions. Then booting in Vista on the new drive I restored the old drive to a different location on my new drive. As a side note Microsoft has used a different backup utility on Vista so you need to download an application from Microsoft to restore files on Vista created on XP. I can now see all my files which now reside on my new drive.