cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About using my broadband connection for a laptop too

N/A

Hi I have a PC desktop set up using £24.99 a month 512 broadband service and wanted to but also use a laptop in another room to connect to the broadband at the same time, what would I need to do this, the other room is nearer the phone plug box that connects to my desktop via a long cable, but would it need a cable connection from my desktop to the laptop in the other room or could it be just connected to the phone plug box , I've heard about wireless networks but really wanted the cheapest way of doing this.

Can anyone help.

Thanks
Philip
6 REPLIES
N/A

cheepest way would be to get a hub / switch and plug both boxes into that, then set up ICS on one of them (the one thats on the most) and share the net via that.

The Good way of doing it, would be to buy a Router / Modem all in one (from linksys Wink) and set it up so it goes phoneline ->modem ->> rest of pcs

Buz
N/A

Or a long Cat5 x-over from laptop to desktop with ICS.
N/A

I've checked my computer and it has a VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter and will the new laptop Amilo Pro V2010 come also with a network adapter.

I'm so non tech would appreciate it if someone could tell me in simple terms what else I would need.

The Cat5 x-over where do I get one of these from, is there a link to one maybe you know of, and is that all I will need if I have a ethernet adapter in my desktop and the laptop comes with a network adapter or would I need something else,

The distance apart from the rooms is 20 metres so its would be a long cable, do they make tme that big or how much would it be for the cheapest wireless set up.

Thanks
Philip
N/A

20M is a fine length for Cat5e cable, It can run to 100m without needing a booster. The cost of the wire will be no more tan £20 and thats if you get ripped off, check PC world or BnQ *to make your own*.

A new router and such would cost way over £100
N/A

Try one of these
Martynhr

Are you currently using a modem connected to your USB port on your PC? If so I would scrap it and suggest getting an Adsl Router and then connect the PC and Laptop to the router using Ethernet cables. An Adsl router has a built in modem and you can pick one up from £40 upwards. http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=1&ShopGroupID=12&Alt=Yes
(D-Link are a popular and reliable make and pretty simple to setup.)
You would then need 2 standard cat 5 straight through ethernet cables to
connect each computer to the router using the ethernet adapters on each computer.