cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About the micro filters and fixing adsl connection

N/A

I'm a newbie and only got my adsl package yesterday, I'm over the moon with the speed and everything but I currently have my PC in my bedroom and its about 20 metres away from the living room BT box socket we do have another phone in the hall which is like 12 metres away from my bedroom and its where I run a extention phone cable to plug in my old dial up modem and where I've plugged in one of the micro filters to get my Binatone Broadband modem plugged in.

Could someone please tell me how I would go about using the micro filters properly. Would I need a extension phone cable to plug into my modem and run it to the hall and use the filter there to split the line or would it need to extend to the BT box and use the filter there.

Sorry for being abit thick here but rather stuck to know what to do.

Phil
9 REPLIES
N/A

Filters are only needed for phones as adsl modems dont need the filter(assuming you have the right connecter) You only need to plug in the filters were you have a phone. Rember if you plug a filter in and run an extention then the line will be filtered so you cant use adsl on the extention but you can use a 56k modem.

So if you want to use the hall socket and have adsl and a phone in the bedroom you would plug the extention directly into the hall(no filter) and in the bedroom put the filter and plug the modem and phone in there.

If the filter is in the hall and you plug the extention for the bedroom you could only use a 56k modem and phone as the adsl would be filtered. Hope thats clear.
Community Veteran

See ADSL: Wiring and Filters for correct use of the ADSL filter/splitter.
N/A

Sorry still confused

Hi

Sorry still a little confused, we have a phone in the livingroom and one in the hall.

on the living room BT socket box we have the hall extension plug, the sky digital phone cable and the room phone plugged in.

in the hall we have the extension from the room with the halls phoned plugged in and the extension that runs into my bedroom. which is another wall brachet box fixed onto the wall near the PC. So I don't have a phone in my room.

Where would i need the microfilters please, if you require any more info please ask.

Phil
Community Veteran

For your setup you will need 3 ADSL filter/splitters:

I am also assuming the extension to the hall and to your bedroom is done via a plug in extension cable - you plug it into a wallsocket and it has a phone socket within it to plug a phone into it.

Living room

I assume you are using a normal socket doubler to connect both the sky box and the rooms phone to the existing socket. Unplug the socket doubler (not the extension cable that goes to the hall), plug in an ADSL filter/splitter in it's place and plug the socket doubler into the phone side of the ADSL filter/splitter. Both the phone and sky box go through the filtered side of the ADSL filter/splitter. The cable that goes to the hall extension wallsocket is not filtered.

Hall

Unplug the hall phone cable (not the extension cable that goes to your bedroom), plug in an ADSL filter/splitter and plug the phone into the phone side of the ADSL filter splitter. Again the phone is filtered but the cable going up to your bedroom is not.

Bedroom

Unplug any equipment from the wallsocket, plug in an ADSL filter splitter. Plug your ADSL modem into the ADSL side of the filter/splitter and your 56k modem into the phone side of the splitter. The 56k modem is filtered, the ADSL modem is not.

The important thing to remember:

• Any phone/skybox/56k modem/fax etc connected to a socket must go through the phone side of an ADSL filter/splitter - i.e. it must be filtered.
  • The ADSL modem must not be connected through the phone side of an ADSL filter/splitter, it must have a direct unfiltyered link to your master socket. If it does go through the phone side of a filter/spliter it will not work.
N/A

Great thanks Peter

I was being rather stupid, thanks for explaining it in easy to understand way, I need to order a extra micro filter as I only have two but the room phone works now at least till I get another one for the hall.

Cheers again
N/A

If its not broke dont fix it. If you have phones which work ok without filters then dont waste money buying extra ones. A lot of the modern phone filter out any noise without the need of a filter.
Community Veteran

Not sure where you got that info from - I would be interested to learn of any phones that have that capability. Certainly a lot of the pre-adsl designed phones won't have any filtering.

The ADSL filter is not to filter out noise as such but to stop the frequencies used by the ADSL connection interfering with the phone and vice versa, and to stop incoming and outgoing calls from interrupting the ADSL connection. It is similar to if you pick up a phone when a 56k modem is currently using the line, it will often cause the modem to drop out.

Phones are not designed to filter out the ADSL signalling.
N/A

yep filter stops loss of signal to phone and or dsl connection equipment,a phone with no filter on it can be noisy,sometimes it wont ring and when used can cause pc to drop or temporarily loose its connection and can seriously effect download speeds.any phone equipment should at some point run thru a filter with your dsl plugging into the pc side of filter.
oliverb
Grafter

Personally I'd swear by the master socket faceplate adapter. Our house has three or four phones and two bells (hardwired). Thankfully the bell was wired to the extension side so it was easy to move it to the filtered side of the new faceplate.

Now all the extensions are filtered except one which carries the ADSL signal. One of these days I'll get round to rewiring it to have a phone extension and an ADSL extension in that room.