cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Anti-virus - Free edition, problems

worcsdave
Grafter

I have been using the free version of AVG anti-virus software for ages now and never had any problems, until recently. When I need to update the software, the icon turns grey - I update it and it goes back to colour. Except now after I have downloaded the updates, it stays grey and then when I open the control centre, it says that the internal database is out of date - which doesn't make sense as I have supposedly just updated it!
Any thoughts about what might have gone wrong and how I might remedy the situation?
Cheers Cheesy
7 REPLIES
N/A

I would try and reinstall AVG and go from there.... I take it you haven't got anything naughty on the computer at the moment that could be trying to stop it updating....
Alecto
Grafter

Rather than mess about the quickest way is to uninstall it, run ccleaner to clear out the remains, and reinstall it.

http://www.ccleaner.com/
N/A

If re-installing doesnt fix it, make sure your computers clock is right.
Community Veteran

phearfactor beat me to it. Cheesy
I spent a long time re installing the software to try and solve this problem on a PC but every time it kept saying out of date.

It turned out that the clock was 1 year ahead and resetting it cured it completely.
worcsdave
Grafter

Thanks everyone! Have just changed the calendar back from February 2006 to January 2006 and - surprise, surprise - it is now fine!
Doh!
Nice to find that this one was a simple solution in the end.
Cheers - and happy January! :lol:
N/A

lol its happened to us all at some point Shockedops:
N/A

AVG seems to disable itself from time-to-time - Ive seen it on a few machines now.

I beleive it suffers from certain virus attacks which intend to disable AV tools.

This is why I moved to AVAST some time ago - and its a far better overall package IMO.
Still free as well!