cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS & Overclocking

N/A

ASUS & Overclocking

Has anyone else have an ASUS Mobo which stops when booting saying that the "Overclocking Failed", I wouldn't mind but I'm not overclocking! When I restart it boots normally. Any ideas?
8 REPLIES
N/A

ASUS & Overclocking

What is the exact model of your motherboard?

If you look in the BIOS, are settings set to "Optimal" or "Aggressive"?

Have you tried updating the BIOS (I know a few ASUS boards have a very good Windows program for this, making it simple).
N/A

ASUS & Overclocking

It's a P4S800D. And it's only started to do this very recently. No changes to the installed hardware. It's a mystery - as Toyah Willcox might say!
Community Veteran

ASUS & Overclocking

What speed P4 processor are you running and what FSB does it use? A P4 2.8Ghz (or faster) with 533 FSB perhaps?
Community Veteran

ASUS & Overclocking

Tis is apparently quite a common problem with recent P4 & AMD Mobos from ASUS. It related back to the recovery mode added to recover from failed overclocking attempts but can also occur when no overclocking happens.

One possible work a round is from here:
Unfortunately, the board's BIOS (v.1004) is not free of some shortcomings. First off, at the nominal speed any changes made to the BIOS are lost: upon the boot-up the caption "Overclocking Failed" is displayed and the user is advised to either enter the BIOS or load the defaults. But if we set the bus speed to any value different from the nominal (e.g., 201MHz), the mentioned problem is eliminated.

I addition, what is your full PC spec (all cards, graphics, mobo. memory, discs, CD-ROMs etc) and what size PSU do you have (Watts). Some think not having a man enough PSU can cause this as well.
N/A

ASUS & Overclocking

Blimey, here goes ...

P4 3.2GHz HT
P4S800D Mobo
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Radeon 9600
DVD-ROM
DVD-R/RW
1Gb RAM
200Gb HDD
300W Power Supply, I think.

My PC has been just fine and dandy for about 6 months, it's just started happening now, as with others after a Google Search.
Community Veteran

ASUS & Overclocking

If it is 300W that may be a little too low. A 350W or better still 400W may be preferred for your system in the long run. While this may not be the actual cause of your current problem, it may cause other unexplained instability issues over time as the PSU degrades. Especially if you decide to upgrade the graphcs card at a later date.

When upgrading systems (was this an upgrade?), the PSU is often overlooked as the cause for problems. If you go for an cheap OEM non-branded PSU aim for a 500W as they tend to not supply the rated Wattage for the key +3.3, +5 and +12V rails as one of the more expensive branded makes like Antec, Enermax, so you need a higher rating to get a decent power rating for those voltages.
N/A

ASUS & Overclocking

I installed an application called Acronis Disk Director Suite, and well, it seems to have cured this problem; don't know how and to be honest I don't really care. Cheesy
vic_newey
Grafter

ASUS & Overclocking

mariglen wrote :- It's a mystery - as Toyah Willcox might say!

actually its mythtery Tongue Tongue