cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

Given the choice, and all else being equal (price, motherboard specs etc), would you pick a Pentium 4, or an AMD 64? And why? I am wavering between the two and so far these seem to the pros and cons:

P4
Pros: Hyperthreading is useful for the type of work I do (graphics, video)
Cons: Runs very hot

A64
Pros: Faster than P4 on some, but not all tasks. Has Cool 'n Silent technology
Cons: No software really takes advantage of it yet (I'm not going to be installing 64-bit Linux, either)

Other than speed, the most important aspect for me is that it doesn't require a jet engine to keep it cool (I like quiet PCs).
9 REPLIES
N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

Get amd 64 better overall
N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

As you do gfx and rendering I would sugest a Xeon or an opteron, rather than the AMD64 or the Intel P4. However if these are outof your range, Intel still own the market for Rendering things such as vid where as AMD are good mainly for gaming , so which you choose is up to you and what you want to do with it

Ps Intel are releasing dual core CPUs in the Q2 of this year Smiley so maybe hang out for them

Buz
the_norris
Grafter

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

I think AMD have got dual-core CPUs due 2H of 05.
N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

I think to be fair really unless your doing massive tasks you wont see much difference with them.
N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

So basically, the consensus is that it doesn't matter?
N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

yea, unless you are really into heave gfx work or gaming
N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

Arent amd a little bit cheaper though
N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

I'm after a motherboard bundle from Novatech (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/Bundles.html)

The 3 GHz Pentium 4 bundle is pretty much the same price as the AMD 64 3200 bundle.
N/A

AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

Unless I'm mistaken, Pentium 4's still rely on the northbridge on the m/board for memory controlling.
Since the memory controller is now built into the cpu on the AMD 64's, It cuts down the bottleneck between cpu----northbridge----ram.
So direct memory access is possible on the amd 64 cpu's drastically increasing memory bandwidth, which is a huge "plus" when rendering/encoding video or using photo manipulation software.

The only gains I can see from the Pentium 4's is the large L2 cache that some of the cpu's provide, such as 1 - 2mb on the EE cpu's and new centrino processors.
Large L2 cache can also increase memry throughput, But the northbridge has to be capable of handling that increased throughput, or you just get back to the bottleneck problem.

This link below answers your query though.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38056/

edit:
thought I better add, get the new socket 939 board and cpu, this board and the cpu take advantage of dual channel memory, whereas socket 754 only has a single channel memory controller built into the cpu, 939 has dual.
939 has memory bandwidth gains of 30-50%. over 754.