cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AGP settings

N/A

AGP settings

My Everest toolkit is warning me that my AGP slot is disabled and that this may cause performance penalties. I have looked in CMOS setup and the AGP settings are as follows:
Apperture size 64M
Transfer Mode Auto
Driving Control Auto
Driving Value DA
Fast Write Disabled
Master 1 WS Write Enabled
Master 1 Ws Read Enabled
CPU to Ghost Write Enabled
Delay Transaction Disabled

I have also tried changing INIT first from CPI to AGP but his makes no difference.
I have an nVidia FX 5200 128MB card which I recently added along with a C-media sound card. Since I added these cards, I have had occasional troubles with crashes, freezes, and sometimes the system simply restarts with no error messages or other signs of problems. I wonder if I need a BIOS upgrade to cope with the new hardware? Current BIOS is Award(01/02/03).
I have tried a clean reinstall of Windows 98; I have the correct drivers for the cards; and most of the time, the system works fine - just these occasional, niggling problems.
The only thing I have noticed is that the CPU temp is rising to over 50 degrees and I'm not sure if that is normal or not.
I would be most grateful for any advice.

Specs are: AMD 2400; 256MB DDR RAM, 60 GB HD, Win 98.
Chipset: VIA VT8366A Apollo K266A
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

AGP settings

If the AGP was disabled you would see no graphics as your FX5200 woul not work. I suspect that is a false reading by the Everest toolkit.

Try running sisoft sandra and checking the AGP settings.

It is always worth looking for updated BIOses and trying them.

What PSU do you have? Not having enough power can cause intermittent problems.

CPU temps around 50C are fine 55C ->60C you need to correct.
N/A

AGP settings

Thanks for your reply, Peter. I have been trying to discover which PSU I have but I can't find any details about it in Everest or anywhere else. I think something about it comes up at startup but I never get time to read it before it disappears.
Is there any way I can get this info short of opening it up and looking?
Community Veteran

AGP settings

You have to look at the label on the PSU so need to take the cover off. There is nothing that will tell you what you have, not even the BIOS.

When you do find the label, post the Power rating and the +3.3V, +5V & +12V current (amps) figures.
N/A

AGP settings

Thanks again, Peter. I'm expecting a new memory stick in the post within the next few days so I will take a note of the PSU specs when I'm fitting it and post them.
N/A

AGP settings

Run DXDIAG (Start -> Run -> Type in DXDIAG and OK).

Go to the DISPLAY tab and check if AGP Texture Acceleration is enabled (bottom left of tab).

If it is you've nothing to worry about Cool

Well apart from...................(now I've read the whole of your post) : :?

As PV says your crashes/freezes may be symptomatic of a weak or failing PSU. Try this link to see what rating PSU you need for your system and then compare it with what you've actually got when you open your case.
N/A

AGP settings

Ran DXDIAG and found that AGP Texture Acceleration is not available - I'm not sure what this means.
N/A

AGP settings

What about Direct Draw and Direct 3D Acceleration? Are they disabled as well?

Have you used apps such as Netmeeting, Remote Desktop, Application Sharing or Whiteboard over the Internet with somebody else?
N/A

AGP settings

Direct Draw and 3D acceleration are both enabled; and no, I do not use any of the apps you mentioned.
N/A

AGP settings

Is there anywhere in your NVidia Utilities that will allow you to re-enable AGP acceleration.

Other things to try:

Uninstall Nvidia drivers. Use NVidia Driver Cleaner (google for it), remove card form Device Manager. Re-install NVidia drivers, reboot and let Windows detect and re-install your card (default at installation should be Accel on).

If that doesn't work try re-installing your chipset AGP drivers.

Alternatively try a System Restore or Registry back-up recovery from a time when you knew it was OK.

In the meantime I'll try find the right Registry key for AGP Accel.
N/A

AGP settings

Forgot to add - re-install DirectX 9.0c.

As a long shot I suggest the following:
- start NetMeeting (!!!)
- in the options menu, select remote desktop sharing
- follow the wizard through, as if you are installing it
- after it's started, go to the same option and disable remote desktop sharing.
- go back and check in DXDiag
N/A

AGP settings

If the AGP was disabled you would see no graphics as your FX5200 woul not work.

Errrrrrmmm... so what if it was a PCI gfx card?? FX5200 comes in PCI format. If that was the case, his mobo should have disabled AGP, and everything is reporting correctly. Its just win98 being rubbish and drivers which nvidia really dont want to produce anymore. I would update the OS.

As for the crashing, you may want to see if your bios allows you to flick between the OS deciding IRQ's and the BIOS deciding. May have a conflict if youve had problems since installing two cards. Win98 isnt exactly the best at determining these things.
N/A

AGP settings

My power supply is 350W.
Total power on 3.5v & +5v is 150W MAX.

I tried the link suggested by barstewards and according to that, I need 276W for all
the hardware I have.
I tried the Netmeeting trick suggested by barstewards - no luck. I also had a look around nVIDIA utilities but was unable to find any function to turn on the texture acceleration thingie.
I have downloaded Driver cleaner but have not tried it yet. There is another app available there for download called GeForce tweaker or something like that - I have that but have refrained from using it as I get the impression it would be easy to screw things up even more.
I have a copy of XP Pro and I would like to try that, only trouble is that when I install that and with the virus checker, firewall, printer utility, etc. I have hardly any memory left for running progs. My extra 256MB memory stick has still not arrived but when it does, this will give me 512MB RAM and with XP, this might solve the problem.
N/A

AGP settings

Sharsand,

Can you actually check if your graphics card is AGP or PCI ? Should say on the box / manual is probably the easiest way i imagine.
Community Veteran

AGP settings

The difference will be very apparent as soon as you look at it.
If its PCI it will be in a white slot and if its AGP it will be in a brown slot.