cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL interfering with sound

N/A

Hi,

I've ADSL active for a little over a month now, and I've noticed that bursts of acitvity seem to correlate with interference on the speakers when I'm listening to mp3's. Has anyone else had this problem or can suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Andreas.
7 REPLIES
N/A

What type of equipment are you using to connect (USB modem, PCI modem, Ethernet modem, Router)?

If you're using a PCI modem, or a USB modem (which is powered by the computer) it could be that when the modem is drawing a lot of power from the motherboard, the sound card isn't getting enough power. That's just a slightly educated guess though.

If this is the problem, it could be solved by either buying a powered USB hub (so that the modem gets its power basically from the mains socket), or get an Ethernet modem or router, which are always powered from the mains. Do you know anyone who has a different type of connection equipment you could borrow (I.E. an ethernet modem or router)?
N/A

More possible with a USB modem would be that CPU time is taken up by the modem and the MP3 software is "stuttering".
Another possibility is that you may have a USB modem and a USB sound card (such as Extigy). With this sort of setup, power requirements can be an issue. Also, if the same USB controller is used, crosstalk can occur between the modem and soundcard causing just the interference you mention. Try different usb ports.
Community Veteran

I get this as well but I know for a fact that in my case it is case of the cpu struggling to cope with all the work it's trying to do.
Especially if one of the machines upstairs is also being fed with mp3 music from my machine where they are all stored.
My machine is still a relatively slow AMD 1gig (by modern standards) and if I use one of the faster machines on my network then they cope with no problem.
Community Veteran

1GHz should be able to cope with broadband and sound though... MP3 decoding requires very little power (it works fine on a 122MHz PDA!)

Thomas
N/A

Thanks for all the suggestions; sorry I forgot to specify my set-up. I'm running NT4, so USB stuff is out. I have a USRobotics modem/router, mains powered, with an ethernet link to the PC.

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the interference is caused mainly when uploading rather than downloading.

I think uploading uses a slightly lower range of frequencies than downloading, but I'm not sure how that helps. It may also be that uploading requires the modem to generate a signal, which may be leaking out, whereas downloading just requires decoding the incoming signal.

Andreas.
N/A

To me, it actualy sounds like a ground fault.

This can happen when small amounts of charge are allowed into the case cover.

Make sure that all components are seated correctly within the chasis of the computer, also make sure that no cable is touching rh case, unless it needs to.
N/A

Ah, now we know your setup, it puts a different complexity on it.

Is your soundcard next to the network card or are they on shared IRQ's. Try moving them about (unless both are onboard the motherboard, in which case they will most probably share an IRQ by default)