cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Wireless router recommendations please

N/A

Can anyone recommend an ADSL wireless router please.

I had a Linksys WAG354G until maybe a year ago, but it gave a poor signal to a PC in my son's bedroom, so I got a D-Link 634M MIMO to replace it. This gives great signal strength throughout the house and was reasonably reliable to start with but is giving me lots of problems recently - connections dropping regulary and freezes occasionally too.

I read good reports about the Vigor 2800G, but it's expensive !

Any useful advice would be much appreciated Cheesy
6 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

The Netgear DG834G is highly recommended here. I've just got a Netgear Rangemax Next for the house but as I'm awaiting activation on the broadband here (Vodafone are cursing me at the moment as I fall back on the 3G card) I haven't had much throughput to check performance. Coverage is good though.

Like other users here I've found the DG834PN doesn't live up to the usual Netgear standard.

IMHO D-Link aren't as good as they once were, and I'd avoid Belkin.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

I use the Speedtouch 585 which seems to work OK
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I use the same router as hotlane, and I found it to be very good. Hardly ever have had to restart thing thing (which I've never had before with a Router). Not sure about the wireless range as I don't use it much in the flat.

If you want cheap refurbished kit, then I can recommend:
http://www.dsldepot.co.uk

Or for new kit:
http://www.dslsource.co.uk
N/A

Thanks guys.

I've been reading up on these 2 boxes, but still not come to any decision. I'm a bit wary about the DG834N as I only have 11g cards and I've read some people have had compatibility issues. The 585 seems a reasonable bet, but signal strength is a real concern after my experience with the LinkSys.

Anyone else out there found reliable kit with good signal strength please ?
espresso_mick
Grafter

I have a Linksys Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway WAG300N - wireless router. It is excellent.

http://tinyurl.com/yqppl8
iainmacmillan
Grafter

I have a Netgear DG834PN and a few G rated cards which work fine -- i have the router on channel 6 which is about mid-range of the 2.4GHz frequency.

Really depends on the make of wireless cards. You really only get 108Mbps to work when your cards support 54Mbps either way, which not all do. Your G rated cards should be fine.

The 834PN has a big advantage over the G & GT models (i have installed enough of them to know), it has 6 unique wireless aerials embedded in its blue dome, so no sticking up aerial, and has a massive range, and goes around obstacles, just beware of granite, microwave, cordless phones and mobiles (they all run on 2.4GHz). The dumba** who chose the same frequency as these existing products, to run wireless should be taken out and publicly flogged, of all the frequencies they had to choose from!!!