cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem or XP problem

N/A

ADSL Modem or XP problem

Can anyone help me with this small problem?
When I boot-up my computer it takes a minute for the modem to connect, until then you can hear a switching noise and after a minute you hear a bong noise indicating that the modem is connected. However, unless you go into network connections and select properties from the ADSL connection and then dial, it doesn't actually connect. Once this is done there is no problem, but for some reason you have to manually do this on restart.
Thanks in advance,
James Beverley.
5 REPLIES
_lecro_
Grafter

ADSL Modem or XP problem

strangley enough i have the exact same problem with my binatone adsl 500 modem. Somtimes after restart it stays training for anything upto 30 minutes.and then other times it will get a signal straight awayHuh?Huh
N/A

Modems

I take it they are both USB Wink ?
N/A

ADSL Modem or XP problem

Check the installation is correct. If in doubt, uninstall the modem then follow
http://www.legend.co.uk/go-support/page.php?page=59

Any USB modem should be on a hub on its own, nothing connected to the second port.
keithcalder
Grafter

ADSL Modem or XP problem

The binatone modem isn't the best on the market, I know several people who have had these and they have all got rid and replaced with routers. One of my friends tried to install it on 3 different machines in his home, and it wouldn't work on any of them.

Frankly I dont know why Plus kept supplying these, I have heard so many comlaints regarding them.
Community Veteran

ADSL Modem or XP problem

It was replaced several months ago with a better BT Voyager 105 USB modem.

I would always recommend using a router over any USB or PCI ADSL modem though.