cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A mouse with its own mind

N/A

I have a laptop with a P4 2.4GHz CPU, 256Mb memory running Windows XP Home.

I also have a Microsoft Optical mouse which has 4 buttons and a wheel.

The problem I have is this. When I am happily typing away, without looking at the screen, I often find that the cursor has jumped back to some earlier position so all my typing appears there.

When typing-in URLs I often get something like

us.net/www.pl

Occassionally if I knock the table on which the computer reposes the same thing happens.

Is this a mouse problem, software problem or what?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Have you installed the MS software that came with the mouse?

I have the same mouse and if I install MS software the back button doesnt work and other strange things if I remove it and use the default its ok.

As the laptop mouse will work as well its more likely it that causeing the problem. Try reducing the speed of th emouse and see if that helps
N/A

Do you have a touchpad on the laptop?? If so, getting close to the touchpad can trigger a false signal. When typing, you tend to hover over the touchpad and I have found this can cause the problem s you have.
You can turn off the touchpad with the correct software and sometimes via the BIOS. You will have to find out how to turn it off (or have it automatically off when the PS2 port is in use) by delving into the manual.
N/A

I get this same problem sometimes but only when typing in URLs in IE6. It usually happens when i open a new instance of IE6. I think its just a glitch in INternet explorer because it seems to happen on every windows machine i use, both at home and college.

If you get the same problems in word or other software i think its likely its a problem with the touchpad, i don't use laptops much but when i do i seem to get similar problems.
N/A

Thanks all of you for the info.

Re cqg4uzg's comment on the touchpad. Yes i do have a touchpad and yes it is possible that I do touch it.

I did not realise that both pointing devices are active at the same time.

Is there anyway I can disable the touchpad?
N/A

If you post which model of Laptop, maybe someone can help.
My works Compaq laptop, you could select an option "disable touchpad when PS2 port active" in the BIOS.
Other Laptops may need software control.
Each laptop manufacturer will be different.
N/A

My laptop is an AJP 8575 which is a badged Mitac 8575.

I have looked for a way to disable the touchpad but i have not found it.