cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bizarre thing has happened...

bluejam
Grafter

My computers DVD drive has been faulty for a while so it's been sent off for a replacement. Anyway, in the mean time, I've set up my old PC, plugged the modem in and connected to Plusnet like I always do. Very strangely, I haven't been disconnected at all and I connected yesterday lunch time. The speeds have been tip top, like they used to be and there hasn't been a single problem.

I can't for the life of me work out why. I keep my normal computer in relatively good condition, I do spyware and virus checks every few days...what on earth could it be?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi,

I've moved this to a more suitable forum where hopefully you will get some help.

Chris
N/A

Re: A bizarre thing has happened...

My computers DVD drive has been faulty for a while so it's been sent off for a replacement. Anyway, in the mean time, I've set up my old PC, plugged the modem in and connected to Plusnet like I always do. Very strangely, I haven't been disconnected at all and I connected yesterday lunch time. The speeds have been tip top, like they used to be and there hasn't been a single problem.

I can't for the life of me work out why. I keep my normal computer in relatively good condition, I do spyware and virus checks every few days...what on earth could it be?

Maybe your modem is connecting to another ISP, because what your saying is happening can't be plusnet
bluejam
Grafter

Maybe your modem is connecting to another ISP, because what your saying is happening can't be plusnet

Have you checked the customer feedback recently? Those kind of problems are happening to lots of people. Besides, I'm definitely connecting to Plusnet, I should know, I have to connect every couple of minutes.
Sandro
Grafter

...what on earth could it be?

It might be that you have old modem drivers - I would suggest to install the latest ones for your modem. For instance in the old ADSL Alcatel USB 330 the original driver was faulty (it was demanding more power that a motherboard could supply) and in some cases it was the reason the connection was lost. The latest driver has no such a problem. If you got this modem try looking for the latest driver. Btw, now Alcatel is called Thomson or something of the kind.

Another problem might be with your power supply or motherboard. Who knows...

Just some ideas Smiley
bluejam
Grafter

It can't be old modem drivers, not least because they were working fine a month or two ago but also because the modem and connection is fine on my old PC.

I'm really stuck here, I've tried loads of spyware and virus scanners, I seem to have deleted all of the spyware and viruses on here but the connection is still rubbish.
Community Veteran

I seem to have deleted all of the spyware and viruses on here

Sounds ominous!
N/A

bluejam, your best bet may be to do a full format, as if you had spyware and virii on the machine then there will be some that you don't know about, so you may want to just format it and get a clean start, usually does the trick.
rammie1976
Grafter

According to +net they have fixed the random disconnections - and this appears to be so for 'most'?

Did your switching of machines coincide with this?

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35704 (10/11/05)

I wouldn't reformat your new machine until you've retested it as it is.