cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Questionable Question

N/A

A Questionable Question

Hi All

I understand this question may cause a few eyebrows to be raised, and I know this is somewhat of a long shot.

I have been using a Mac for quite a while now, but need to pick up a cheap Windows machine to run a couple of pieces of software, I have an offer of one at a good price (free) but it really needs an OS re-installation.

The problem is the person no longer has the installation discs where as I still have an OEM version of Windows 98SE that came with a long departed computer, but no manual and there for no registation number as shown on the front cover.

I know that in the end I may have to track down a second hand version of an OS but was wondering if there is any way to extract the registration from the OEM CD-roms or install it on another machine without the manual.

Like I said it is a long shot, but there are some knowledgeable people on these forums,and as the computer will suit my needs it is not up to the task of runing Windows XP,but Win98 is plenty good enough to run the software I need to use.

If what I am talking about ammounts to piracy then I must be the person that wishes to pirate extinct software :-)

Thanks in advance if anyone can offer any advice.

Ian & Linda Jordan
7 REPLIES
N/A

A Questionable Question

Hmm, I think the problem is that most OEM windows disks aren't really full copies - merely "restore disks" - meaning that they restore the computer to the state it was in when you first bought it, preloaded software et al. So I think even if you had the code, this version wouldn't be much use.

That's just in my limited experience of OEM software though - and it may be different with 98 too Smiley/
N/A

A Questionable Question

Thanks Chris

I had an idea in the back of my mind that could be the case, looks like "Ebay" here I come :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A Questionable Question

Even if its the full OEM version[I have a 98 version], it doesn't have the serial number on it, only the manual or in some cases the CD case has a printed sticker with it. So ebay yes with doubts, pick a trusted seller with a shop if possible as its easy to make legit looking CD's and manuals with the 3d logo.

Would suggest other another area to try, hit the car boot markets looking for a old pc for sale with the OS CD's then you can See everything is intact.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
holdtight
Grafter

A Questionable Question

Micro Mart which comes out weekly is also a good place
to find pucker uncopied software at good prices
N/A

A Questionable Question

you could always call MS themselves and ask Smiley there are numbers on microsoft.com, if they are real nice they will give u a new key
N/A

A Questionable Question

I found EBID cheaper than EBAY when I needed to "upgrade" to WIN98 SE but watch out one click and you have bought it there is no confirm button like on ebay.
I am worried by what eurotrain said about OEM as I have just ordered a PC from my local computer shop and I specified XP PRO (for which they are charging £100 approx.) I was expecting a full version on the CD that comes with the PC even if it was OEM. I thought the one to avoid where restore versions as distinct from a full OEM.
Is there such a thing as a full OEM version of XP PRO which is not a restore copy. I spoke to Holly computers (before ordering locally) they supply a restore CD and a full copy as well which I assume is an OEM version
dave
Community Veteran

A Questionable Question

Is there such a thing as a full OEM version of XP PRO which is not a restore copy. I spoke to Holly computers (before ordering locally) they supply a restore CD and a full copy as well which I assume is an OEM version
dave

Yes I have built several machines and purchased an XP OEM CD for each one.
You should get the full disk with the machine but I have known one supplier not to supply it and tried to charge a friend £90 to reinstall Xp for him.

Needless to say I bought a new copy for just over £60-00 and he now has his own.