Did you mean: 

6800 GT help!

N/A

6800 GT help!

5 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

6800 GT help!

Have you tried uninstalling the Nvidia driver & using driver cleaner to remove the remains ?

Not removing the remains before reinstall is major error

& then reinstall Nvidia 82.12 driver which is the best one at present, your 6800 GT
has more pipelines /shaders etc & a reinstall may fix it
N/A

6800 GT help!

Bugger!

Do you know, I think I might just have swapped the card initially and then uninstalled and re-installed the driver with the new card in place. Talk about a schoolboy error, been working with PCs for over 10 years and I *know* not to do that!

Did a quick google for driver cleaner, I assume you mean the one from www.drivercleaner.net? I will give it a shot and post the results.

Cheers,
J.
N/A

6800 GT help!

what kinda PSU are you running // cooling solution?
N/A

6800 GT help!

It's an Antec TruePower 420W PSU. Cooling solution is the standard one for the GFX card - a coolermaster HSF which looks to just be the nVidia reference design with a coolermaster sticker ;-). The card temps appear fine (<75C) so I am not sure that it is a heat problem.

In fact the more I look into it the more I think this isn't hardware at all but software.

I've done what vicnewey suggested but there is no difference. However some more digging has shown the following:

I let 3d Mark 03 run through and found that the first benchmark (planes) always runs fine, but then Proxycon, Trolls and Nature all show the same symptoms as before i.e. the couple of seconds of normality followed by five to ten seconds of freezing and then another couple of seconds of normality. Letting the benchmark run through showed the CPU Tests ran fine, fill rate tests ran fine, Vertex shader, Pixel Shader and Ragtroll all glitched as before and the sound tests ran fine.

I can't see how this could be if there was a h/w issue so I tried some more -
Quake 4 and HL2:LC both glitch, but Darwinia runs absolutely fine.

I'm left thinking this is something like Direct 3D/Direct X vs OpenGL is the difference but I don't know what uses what to take the diagnoses further.

Anyone got any ideas or do you think I'm on the wrong track here?

Cheers,
J
N/A

6800 GT help!

No, ignore me, it *is* heat.

Darwinia just heats the card up more slowly that's all. As soon as the core temp hits 75C the lockups start and the couple of seconds where it works are when it goes from 73 or 74 C back up to 75 and locks again.

No way that should be happening at such a low temperature, so looks like the card is junk.

Frack.

NV Temp Logger is very useful!

Cheers,
J