cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4x 8x?

N/A

4x 8x?

Hi,

I would like to know if the Gforce 4 range of cards are 4x or 8x, is there any program to use to show this.?

Thanks Wink

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Thread moved to a more appropriate forum]
14 REPLIES
N/A

4x 8x?

You should be able to check on Nvidia's website. I think this would vary between the different GF4 models aswell - the MX may be 4x, where the Ti could be 8x.
Community Veteran

4x 8x?

Check the manufacturers website (which may not be Nvidia) and the product description should tell you. If you actually have a card then the included spec in the manual should say what AGP speeds it supports.

It depends on the board manufacturer whether they support 4x or 8x AGP, even for the same chipsets.

Note: 8x cards are fully backwards compatible with 4x AGP slots because 8x cards also support 4x working. Also a card running at 8x AGP may not be any faster than one running at 4x AGP as most of the current models don't even max out the 4x AGP interface. 8x AGP is only around because the market wanted it, rather than it making things any faster. Only the very top end cards make use of the extra bandwidth available on 8x interfaces.

To find out what speed your current AGP graphics card interface is running at use CPU-Z.

Is there a particular reason you are asking, maybe if we know the reason we can answer any concerns you may have.
N/A

4x 8x?

Just wanted to know as iv'e just got a gforce 4 and wanted to know if it was 8x as my other card was only 4x but i only had a 4x motherboard, but now i got this card was gonna get new motherboard if the card was 8x.

Thanks. Wink
Community Veteran

4x 8x?

You will need to look at the product specs to see if the card supports 8x as I don't think any software will tell you because you current mobo only supports 4x AGP.

If you are going to replace your mobo just so you can run 8xAGP then you will be wasting your money as the graphics card is unlikely to run any quicker (if that was your hope), as I explained earlier.

But as always the decision is yours Wink
N/A

4x 8x?

Really, is it not at all faster? well i think the card is 8x i dunno will have to put it in a 8x board to find out i suppose. Well i want to do some upgrading on my pc as all the games coming out now are too advanced, i want to play far cry and half life 2 when it comes out, any suggestions on the best components to work on upgrading out of my pc.?

CPU::: AMD Athlon 1600XP
HARD::: DRIVE 120Gb
GFX:::: Gforce 4
RAM::: 512K
Think these are the main things,

Thanks. Wink
N/A

4x 8x?

To find out what speed your current AGP graphics card interface is running at use http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Could not find this on that program but i know this anyways,

Thanks Wink
Community Veteran

4x 8x?

What grahics card have you got - Geforce 4 is a chipset and tells me nothing about your cards capabilities. What is the make/model/specs of the card and I (or others) may be able to tell you if it is good enough - although in most games now the faster the card the better.

Upgrading your current system requires many questions to be asked and answered.

Your current CPU is 1.4GHz, you will probably need to get something around the Barton XP2500 or higher - I have a Barton XP2800 (normally clocked @ 2.08GHz) running @ 2.275GHz (equiv to an XP3200). You will also need a very good heatsink for it.

As for mobo, there are too many to chose from so just get one that supports the barton XP's and DDR400 memory (which you will also need to purchase). MSI, ABIT, ASUS all make very good mobos, just be careful not to get too many extras like firewire, SATA which you may not actually need. Go for one that suits your needs and pocket.

The drive you have is plenty big enough for now. 512MB ram should also be fine although you may need to replace what you have with DDR400 speed.

Also your screen size and type can make a big difference to games. A flat panel screen is not good enough for fast action games yet and it's size can make a big difference. I would not have anything less then a 17inch CRT.

What sort of case do you have. When upgrading the motherboard, you must consider if your current case can cope with the increased heat being generated. Can yiou add extra fans to extract the heat etc. You may want to purchase a new miditower case if your current one is not up for the job.

Also the PSU size may need to be changed as the new processors require a lot more power. As a min I would go for a 430->450W branded model like ANTEC ENERMAX, or around 500->550W for a cheaper OEM model.

All that being said, your budget will ultimately decide what you can or can't do but all the above have to be considered when upgrading your current system.
Community Veteran

4x 8x?

To find out what speed your current AGP graphics card interface is running at use http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Could not find this on that program but i know this anyways,

Run it and click on the mainboard tab and it's at the bottom called data transfer rate. This only shows what it is currently running at, it does not say what the board is capable of.
N/A

4x 8x?

Well i was just thinking of upgrading my amd athlon xp from a 1600 too a 2500xp wasn't thinking about changing the motherboard too as it will take upto 2600xp which is plenty for me right now, my ram is running at 2700, my graphics card is nvidia gforce 4 128mb ddr, i also have a 17inc CRT monitor.

Thanks Wink
Community Veteran

4x 8x?

my graphics card is nvidia gforce 4 128mb ddr, i also have a 17inc CRT monitor.

That is still a generic description of the chipset and memory size and not enough to identify what the graphics card is. i.e. is it a Geforce FX5600, FX5900 ultra etc and who manufactured it: ASUS, MSI, gigabyte etc If it was an ASUS geforce FX5200 ultra then I can identify what AGP speed it supports by looking the board up on asus's website, similarly with MSI and other manufacturers.
N/A

4x 8x?

I think its a inno gforce 4 mx 440 card with 128mb ddr ram, my dad gave it me as my gforce 2 wouldn't play far cry very well,

Thanks. Wink
Community Veteran

4x 8x?

This is probably it then: http://www.ivmm.com/inno3d/geforce4/products_gf4_mx.html

2x & 4x AGP only supported. That is also the lower end of the geforce4 products so it may struggle with the games you want to use. But I suspect the only real way to find out is to try it.
N/A

4x 8x?

Looks like this is my graphics card even though it doesn't look like it as i found out its a mercury http://www.kobian.com/products.php?productid=205 still looks like its a 2x/4x weird as when i look up gforce 4 440 cards on ebay you can get a gforce 4 mx 440 128mb ddr 4x/8x card for £39.99 free P+P so if thats the same model 440 128mb ddr why aint mine a 4x/8x oh i dunno.

Thanks Wink
Community Veteran

4x 8x?

Because the manufacturer of the card decides what AGP speed they want to support. You can't determin the AGP speed by the name of the graphics chip being used.

The MX 440 is a low end (e.g. cheap) card which uses a slower clocked Geforce 4 chip so there is no need for the expense of a AGP 8x interface. The must faster clocked (and thus more expensive) cards are the ones that would be more likely to have the 8x AGP interface.