cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Sound -PCI Sound Card -supposedly PnP

graingerjjb
Grafter

Just updated my PC system but bought a cheap sound card with a Game port -I think this was my mistake.

Its a 3D Sound Card - CMi8738 -6Channel card made by C-Media. I have the sound working fine but I can't for the life of me get the Game port working -its says that the Input/output range are not available -0201-0201. This is itself is strange as its supposed to be PnP. I've checked device manager and viewed it by resources and there's nothing else using that range. For info, I have downloaded the latest drivers but no joy.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Cry

Thanks
3 REPLIES
graingerjjb
Grafter

Sorry should point out that XP SP2 will not let me change the resource settings
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Check the makers site for drivers, as windows will get most things working with default drivers but usually fail with game ports as its pecific to that Soundcards design

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/download/OS_e-cmi8738_index.htm

Other thing I forgot, most motherboards PCI slots the first PCI slot[nearest the AGP slot] shares an IRQ with the AGP slot, so its best not to have it there due to conflicts.

editmk2: also if you have a Onboard sound chip on the motherboard, make sure its disabled in the bios, for same reason.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
graingerjjb
Grafter

Thanks.

As I said I downloaded and installed the newest drivers -first port of call.
The motherboard sound is also disabled. I did try a different PCI slot ,although it wasn't in the top one anyway but the OS just assigned the same resources anyway.

Still not joy