cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3Com Router Connection Problems

N/A

Can anyone help?

I have just bought a 3Com ADSL Wireless Firewall Router for my 1 Mb Plusnet connection.

I am having problems automatically connecting to the internet when I login to my XP account. I have to pyhsically go into my router setup screen and connect.
This sometimes still dosent connect ok.

I have double checked all the settings for adsl that were provided by plusnet and they seem ok.

Any Ideas anyoneHuh

Thanks in Advance

Mark
10 REPLIES
N/A

I dont know the router but thats were the problem is. Somewere there will be a box to connect automaticly or it may be a time out or idle timeout setting. The fact the pc can connect to the router means the pc is ok.
N/A

Thanks for the reply.

But I Have checked the settings for "Dail on Demand" (ticked) and "Idle Timeout" (20min) and they are OK.

Any More Ideas?Huh
mossgrove
Grafter

I had a similar problem with this router. Uncheck "dial on demand" and save the settings. On the status page click on "Connect", and the connection will stay up indefinitely. About two months now for me.
N/A

Thanks for the Reply.

Does the Router connect again automatically after you turn it off and back on again??

Thanks

Mark
N/A

Hello

I have the same router (3CRWE754G72-A?) which I turn off at night or if I go out and it happily reconnects when I power it and my PCback up - if it doesn't, probably if the PC has just been hibernating, then I right-click the shortcut desktop icon for the connection then click 'enable' to reconnect.

I've read that it is best to leave it powered up but I haven't read why this might be so - anyone know please? (I'm probably paranoid about any likely fire danger but it, and its power brick, seem to get pretty hot :!: )

Thanks,
Tim
mossgrove
Grafter

I think there are two main reasons to keep your router powered on. Firstly "they" assume that you have a number of computers connected to it, and you wouldn't want every user having to power on the router before they could communicate. Secondly most damage happens to electronic components on power up, due to a phenomenon called "start up surge" - a raised current consumption before the component settles down. Therefore you tend to get a better reliability for devices left in steady state, rather than those constantly powered up and down.

However - keep doing whatever lets you sleep easier at night!!
N/A

Thanks for nice and clear explanation Cheesy

I'll probably keep powering it down - it might just last long enough for the next, must-have, connect-at-hyper-speed gadget to come along!

Tim
PS this time, when I powered it up and woke the PC from hibernation, I noticed that it definitely reconnected with no clicking icons by me...
tarquel
Grafter

Just a quick note about the router disconnecting from ADSL...

I've read "somewhere" regarding this router (yes, I too have the same router) about setting the Idle Time (Minute) to 0 to disable the timeout.

Havent tried it myself yet but will do sometime, however, i have a more pressing issue with the router at the moment...

Until Tuesday, I've had no problems at all with the router - its been blindingly good - except the disconnecting issue - but since Tuesday, I've had trouble viewing pretty much any website.

The website will start to load and then thats it, nothing else happens.

I've spoke to plus.net custommer service about it and they told me earlier that it may be to do with firewalls. I'm big on security so i have the router & NIS firewall running (XP SP2 firewall turned off) and its been fine up til recently.

Now, in turning off the routers firewall, i can access sites properly again.

The thing is I've changed no settings so anyone have an idea whats happening here?

The router's running the lastest firmware (v1.2Cool so that leaves that option out i.e. firmware update, and I have windows all updated, along with Norton and the rest.

Any ideas?

Regards
Nathan H.
N/A

It is most likely to be the two seperate firewalls conflicting with each other.

Try running one withe the other disabled.

Do you not trust the 3Com hardware firewall by its self?

Have a look at www.grc.com and try the "Shields Up" port test which will give you an good indication to how your firewall is working.
My 3Com firewall passed all tests with flying colours, but I still cant get it to auto connect when I turn it on.
Any more ideas anyoneHuh

Thanks

Mark
tarquel
Grafter

It is most likely to be the two seperate firewalls conflicting with each other

A fair point, but in this case no - as i've been running them together for months and have had no problems. I've also tried disabling all of the NIS 2004 (except the AV of course) and enabling the router firewall and I sstill get the same problem.

Do you not trust the 3Com hardware firewall by its self?

Well, yes, but as i'd already paid for NIS, i thought i may as well run it too and as it didnt cause any problem at the time, i stuck with the both Smiley

Also, norton reported an attack on the system a while back, even tho the 3com firewall was running - weird.

will take a look at www.grc.com when i get home later. Will also try to give 3coma a call too Smiley