cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24pin ATX PSU compatibility

henderson1977
Grafter

Hi all, is the above compatible with motherboards that have only a 20pin ATX power connection?

I have read that some 24pin ATX PSU's can detach the extra 4 pins to make it a 20pin ATX PSU. However, the 24pin ATX PSU that I have is fixed and cannot be altered to a 20pin ATX PSU. I have tried it in a working motherboard (with 20pin ATX power connection) but no power, I have checked motherboard jumpers are correct (PW ON, RESET SW, PW LED, etc...).

Any ideas plz?

Cheers
Scott
3 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

What you need is a 24 to 20 pin adapter that will sort it out for you, the last block of four are redundant on 20 pin motherboards and i have heard of people detaching the last four but i wouldnt advise it just get the adapter

They are readily available in most stockists im using one on mine but it came supplied with the psu a Hiper type R

Bill.

EDIT
After a very quick search have a look Here
henderson1977
Grafter

Thanks holdtight, Maplin are selling one for £2.99, will ring 'em to see if they have any in stock.

So, is it the case that I MUST have this converter cable and would this explain why there's no power when I press the power on button?
holdtight
Grafter

Yes you do need the converter and unless your psu has a fault it should work just fine

Glad you found one so cheap its a good price !

regards
Bill.