cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 Server + 98 Clients

N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

Is there a definitive answer to attaching Win98 Clients on a Win2K Server network, in terms of poledit.exe and DNS. Do you just copy the Config.pol file in the SysVol folder on the Domain Controller? Is that really all you need to do? Someone must know, I cannot find anything helpful on the Microsoft site.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

2000 Server + 98 Clients

What do you want to do exactly? Have a Windows98 machine logon to a network in the same way as a Win2k workstation? If so as far as Im aware it's not possible.
It can certainly be assigned DHCP and use file sharing and DNS off the server but it wont be able to logon to a domain. same goes for win95 / me machines and XP Home.

Chris
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

I think you are mistaken, I'm practically certain that it is possible. I have already got a Win98 machine to log onto a Win2K domain. I am trying to do some jiggery-pokery with the Policy Editor (poledit.exe) which you get with Win98. Win98 Clients have no idea what 2000 Group Policy is, but you use poledit.exe instead.
Community Veteran

2000 Server + 98 Clients

If you can get this done I would be interested in replicating it, I assume it would be the same for a WinMe machine? I have at present managed to replicate some of the features of logging onto a domain in win95 and xphome (I know XP is very different though) but never actually managed it.

Chris
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

You can get a Win9x machine onto a W2k domain providing you haven't switched the domain to native mode? Native mode means 'only Windows 2000 here please'.

Up to that point it's the same as logging on to NT. When you created your W2k domain, you gave it a domain name of something.com but also a downlevel NetBIOS name of mydomain, in the same format as an NT server. All you need do then is enter this name into the domian box of your Client for Microsoft Networks aon the Win9x machine and reboot. A good tip is to run WINS on the server point WINS on the client to it.

You can put your policy files absolutely anywhere (so long as 'Everyone' has permission). The simplest way then to get the Win9x machine to find them is to open the registry of that machine (using Poledit) and set the Remote Update to use a manual path and enter the UNC path to where the files are.
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

I wanted to avoid WINS like the plague, but I'll give your other suggestion about policy files a bash.
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

Also, I thought that "Native Mode" meant only Win 2000 Domain Controllers, nothing to do with Clients? i.e. no NT Domain Controllers. Provided all the Domain Controllers are 2000 then set to "Native Mode", it doesn't involve which Clients will be attached. Member Servers and Clients do not have to be 2000.
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

Windows 98 doesnt full suport win2k security so there may be problems with permisions etc. There was a patch from MS to fix this.
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

Windows 98 doesnt full suport win2k security so there may be problems with permisions etc. There was a patch from MS to fix this.

I thought the patch was just so Win9x clients could browse Active Directory? There are no problems with permissions on W2k Server shares being accessed with Win9x clients
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

Indeed, the patch/application was for Win9X Clients to be able to browse Active Directory. It's on the 2000 CD.
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

Well, the story so far ...

I have now successfully managed to network Windows 98 Clients onto a Windows 2000 Server domain! Cheesy Also, I have implemented some kind of group policy using poledit.exe.

My only problem is that I haven't yet found a way to redirect the "My Documents" folder to a shared drive in the Domain Controller. ANY suggestions welcome, PLEASE!!!! Wink
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

www.waynessa.co.uk/UserFold.adm is the policy template we used to use on our Win9x machines. You need to set the 'personal# to point to your share.

The best thing to do is to point it to \\<server>\%USERNAME% where <server> is the name of your server and %USERNAME% should be typed in as it is here. Whatever username the user logs on with, NT / 2000 assigns that value to %USERNAME%.

Hope that helps.
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

I kind of knew it was something to do with that particular key. But when I implement it, in the Registry Current User entry it just says "\\server\%USERNAME%" - literally. It doesn't convert the username variable, and so the My Documents folder doesn't open. I'm going to reinstall 98 on my clients and start again, maybe it's just one of those things. Thanks for the ADM file though, VERY useful!!!! You're a star! Cheesy
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

It's actually correct for the registry to display %USERNAME% as is bit it should convert it 'on the fly'.

I take it that other parts of your policy file are working OK?
N/A

2000 Server + 98 Clients

Yes, everything else seems to be working just fine. As I said I will reinstall Windows 98 and start again. Maybe I did something wrong earlier in my attempt to network them. Better luck next time I guess!

One question though. I have to create the folders on the Domain Controller first and assign the appropriate permissions? Windows 98 won't create the folders for me? Maybe I didn't set the right permissions?