2 win xp

i had win xp on my hard drive which was a single hard disk
i decided to parition it which led to disastrous results
i couldnt login to windows
the login screen wouldn't even appear
so i installed windows xp again
now i have 2 windows xp installed
i cant use the old one but i can use the new one
but all my files and programs are on the old xp and i cant access no programs or files!
how can i get my old xp back
no files have been lost everything is in tact jus cant log on to my old win xp
helppppp
3 REPLIES
N/A

2 win xp

we ned to know how you have set this up. Are both xp on the same drive c: or is one on d:?

There is a file on the boot drive called boot.ini if you can post that it would give us an idea.

You should be able to boot from the windows cd and do a repair which should fix it. If it doesnt repeat but dont choose the first repair option go for an install and then it will ask if you want to repair again. This will reinstal xp. What you have got to be carefull of is you repair the right one.

At the end of the day it takes longer messing about than just doing a clean install. If you have a second partion you can copy your data onto it while you install
N/A

2 win xp

It sounds like you have partitioned your hard drive which would then become drives C and D and have somehow got the old windows partition on the D drive.

possible solutions are:
1. Some partition managers will alow you to change the drive letters.
2. Use a partition manager to delete the new partition and return the disk to its original state, but be careful you dont compound your original mistake. Then, being even more careful and reading the instructions, repartition your drive to two partitions making sure you get your widows programs on the C drive.
3. And as suggested copy and paste your Boot.ini file into this forum and someone will probably be able to tell you how to amend it to boot from the right partition.

good luck
N/A

2 win xp

doesnt matter now ive sorted it out
it takes more time figuring out the solution so i just formatted it started over
thank you for your suggestions