Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16 or 32 bit graphics?

henderson1977
Grafter

16 or 32 bit graphics?

Hi all

At work, I have created several Windows XP SP2 imaging scripts which inject a sysprep.inf file, for over 20 models of desktop and laptops. Tne sysprep.inf includes the following section:-

[Display]
Xresolution=1024
YResolution=768

I have been asked to include the BitsPerPel setting to set 32 bit graphics resolution:-

BitsPerPel=32

But, before I do this, are there any considerations I should be aware of please? For example, will this setting work for ALL desktops and laptops, or do I need to check that the graphics cards in each desktop and laptop can handle 32 bit graphics?

:?:

Thanks
Scott
7 REPLIES
N/A

16 or 32 bit graphics?

In this day and age - I'm fairly sure *all* graphics cards can do 32bit anyway. Although I have noticed a tiny slow down when using this graphics depth. But apart from that you should be OK Smiley
N/A

16 or 32 bit graphics?

I think most can handle 32-bit colour but depending on the resolution size this can sometimes change.

Alot of graphics will not run at anything higher than 800x600 or 1024x768 with 32-bit enabled until the correct video drivers have been installed.

Maybe forcing it to use 32-bit will also force it to the highest resolution possible for that colour setting. I am not too sure.

Depending on how old some of these systems are you might need to check if they can handle 32bit, as some use 16bit or even 24bit.

But it also depends on the resolution. Sounds like a tough job to me lol

Good luck! Wink
henderson1977
Grafter

16 or 32 bit graphics?

Thanks for the replies both.

It is a requirement to set the resolution to 1024x768 first and foremost. So do you now think we may have issues with (older) machines if we change from 16-bit to 32-bit?

Cheers
Scott
holdtight
Grafter

16 or 32 bit graphics?

If this is just for office pc`s you wont notice any difference between 16 and 32 bit anyway

If as you say it is a requirement to set the resolution to 1024x768 then yes you could find issues with older monitors / cards at 32 bit and i would stick to 16
N/A

16 or 32 bit graphics?

If its in an office setting it to anything above 800 *600 could be an issue on old pc and it could be a Health and Saftey issue if you dont let users change the res after. Lots of people with poor eye site may not be able to see the higher res
henderson1977
Grafter

16 or 32 bit graphics?

Thanks guys, we're fully aware of the H&S issues so are not locking down the facility for users to change the screen rez. However, my boss has asked for me to set ALL desktops and laptops to 32-bit true colour.

What sort of problems could we experience on old machines running 1024x768 at 32-bit colour please? (damage graphics card? cause image rendering issues or simialr?)

Cheers
Scott
Community Veteran

16 or 32 bit graphics?

If you are fully aware of the H&S aspects then why is there no mention of screen "refresh rate" settingsHuh Very important regarding eye strain etc.

I think you should know the spec of all your hardware and act accordingly tbh.