cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16-Port 10/100 Mps Switch query

N/A

Hi all Smiley

I have 4 computers using a Broadband router and I'd like to double up to 8.

I've just bought a 16-Port 10/100 Mps Switch (D-Link DES-1016D) for EtherNetwork.

Everything looks simple enough, and the wonderful blurb on the front of the box says Plug & Play, Easy Installation, Auto Sense Cable, blah, blah, blah.

But I have to admit that I'm a bit lost now. It's been 12 years since I played around with switches and routers and I'm not sure what I should be plugging in to where. If the general concensus is to hire a networking contractor then I'll go down that route, but I'm the type of person who likes to know how these things work, so when they go wrong I can (try to) fix them myself.

What should plug into where first?

Regards

Stu.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Usually I always work from either the start or the end of the switch. Meaning you wire a patch cable to either Slot Number 1 or Slot Number 16, (sometimes both will work - sometimes only one or the other will work) you wire this to your Modem/Router where the ADSL line is. Then start at the other end of the switch using patch cables to each PC.

So it will look like this:

Port 1 = PC 1
Port 2 = PC 2
Port 3 = PC 3
Port 4 = PC 4
Port 5-15 = Blank
Port 16 = Modem

Or vice versa.
Denzil
Grafter

First connect the switch to the router. The switch or the router should have an 'uplink' port. Connect a normal patch lead between the uplink port on one to a normal port on the other. If there is no uplink port then connect a crossover patch lead between the router and the switch (any ports).

Then just connect each PC either to the switch or the spare ports on the router. Use standard patch leads plugged in to any port. With auto sensing it doesn't matter where you plug them in.

Then run the Network Setup wizard on each PC.
N/A

Lets see if I've got this right then.

I've currently got 4 computers plugged into the router.
If I plug one of the cables into the switch instead of a computer then I can plug the consecutive computers into the switch?

That seems too easy. Cheesy

I must have got that wrong.

Stu.
N/A

You have it right - don't worry about where you plug any of the cables in.

Just use standard CAT5 (Ethernet) cables for all connections - plug one from your router to the switch, and all of your computers plug into the switch too.

You can start from one end if you like for neatness, but there is no real technical advantage to doing this.

The switch you have has auto negotiating uplink, so you don't need a crossover cable, and it doesn't matter which port you use to uplink to your router.

Once its plugged in, everything should work in exactly the same way as it does now.

(Fixed IP or DHCP will both work fine - ignore me if you don't know what that means!)

Any additional computers can also be plugged straight into the switch.
N/A

That was brilliant. I'm quite impressed.
Everything worked first time, exactly as was said.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Stu.