cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12v DC to 240v AC current inverters for mobile use.

N/A

Hi All

Anyone happen to know off hand if the inverters mentioned in the subject line are stable enough to run a laptop whilst the vehicle is in motion.We are thinking of using the wifes laptop with a bluetooth GPS system, but don't know if laptops are voltage critical or not and that perhaps inverters would not be suitable.

Any thoughts would greatly appreciated,I know there are dedicated GPS systems for vehicles but as we have most of what is needed ie laptop and bluetooth addaptor and would just require the purchase of a bluetooth GPS unit I thought it might be worth exploring along these lines first'.

Thanks in advance

IanJ
10 REPLIES
N/A

I usually run my laptop off an inverter when I'm out of the office and away from any power points (usually sat in the middle of Sailsbury Plain) and it works well enough... just watch your vehicle battery doesn't get too low if you're not running the engine.
N/A

Likewise, I use one on my boat for my laptop running navigation software. No issues at all.
N/A

Thanks folks....... do you have any particular reccomendations as to a good one or to put it another way what are you using? especially "pcsni" as use on a boat for navigation would I imagine require a robust unit.

But thank you both for the replies

IanJ
N/A

Hi Ian,

Without looking at it I cant be sure. I've had it quite a while. I'll have a look later on to day and let you know.
N/A

Ok thanks that would be appreciated....... I am in unfamiliar territory here :-)

IanJ
zpeterk
Grafter

How about one of these
N/A

Thanks "zpeterk" bookmarked as worth a closer look, if not for the laptop a couple of other gadgets :-)

IanJ
N/A

Hi Ian,

As promised, my inverter is made by a company called Philex, Model PSi 250.

I have checked their website (philex.com), which is horrendous, but can find no reference to this product.

Sorry i cant be of much more help. As I said, I've had it for a while. It may no longer be in production.

good luck with the quest.
N/A

No Worries Mark..... thanks for trying

IanJ
holdtight
Grafter

How about one of these

I agree ive got something similar which is This one
it works a treat not just with my notebook but a multitude of things and you dont have to worry quite as much about your car battery running flat also its a whole lot cheaper than an inverter