cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0845 dial up problem

N/A

0845 dial up problem

Hi

I have tried to get my daughter connected with the dial up account 0845 no. but although it dials nothing else happens. It say the computer you are dialling does not answer. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and why there is no connection to remote computer please? Many thanks

Sal
7 REPLIES
N/A

0845 dial up problem

I assume you are dialing the right number ??
Can you hear the remote modem or do you get an engaged tone ??
These answers will help determine the problem.

At peak times, such as in the evening, the PAYG account number runs out of free connections.
wait a few minutes and try again or wait until early morning to test.
N/A

0845 dial up problem

Hi
thank you for your reply. I tried it out this morning as I know it is easier in the day to get a connection. I used the 0845 1400101 number and it just shows it dialling. Hear nothing but probably not audible as you can mute the dial up tone. I used to have dial up myself until recently but it always dialled then connected to remote computer and verifyed password and logged on. This never gets beyond dialling for ages and then just telling me computer you are dialling does not answer. I am baffled by this. The modem is internal so I cannot check anything there. The only way she can get her emails is by visiting the library. We want to go for dsl on her computer but want to make sure it will connect first. Set up for the internet so do not know what is happening.

Sals
N/A

0845 dial up problem

Without hearing what is intially happening, trouble shooting will be a shot in the dark as you will not know if the problem is as simple as the remote modem not responding or more complicated like your TCPIP settings.
It has also been a while since I used dial up.

I am assuming she has her own account and not trying to dial in on your DSL account ?? This will not work.
pcorker
Grafter

0845 dial up problem

In IE's Tools/Internet Options/Connections
Does her account show as (Default)
Is "always dial Dial my Default connection" selected?
With most modems (maybe also with your old modem) you can hear it's dial tune (ear to the box) then buzzing and screeching as it tries to connect. Do you get all this?
Pat.
bobgidden
Grafter

0845 dial up problem

Just to make sure of the number you have, write down the number it says in the alert pop-up box that it is contacting, then cancel the attempt, and dial that number from an ordinary phone. Do you hear the squeal of a modem answering, or busy, or just not answering at all? [Don't stay on long, or you may be blocking another user at a busy time!]

It's a while since I used DialUp, so details are fuzzy, but I recall that if your settings for things like your area code, etc, are wrong, it can add funny things to the number it is trying to dial. If the phone test above gets the modem squeal, you might try looking for the box which says something like 'Use area settings', and blocking that and then putting the whole number (including the 0845) in the right-hand number bit and leaving area-code box blank.

BobG.
N/A

0845 dial up problem

Hi all

Thank you for your suggestions and help. I have checked out what I can. I am now faced with the problem of knowing which part of the pc the modem goes into as when it is plugged into the one which says phone, the phone line is ok and has dialling tone so can stay plugged in and that was what I had. If it is plugged into the other one the phone line is shown as busy and has no dialling tone. so have to unplug from socket to get a normal line working. Both of these give me the same problem which says the computer you are dialling did not answer. This happens in the daytime. I know the number is right as I tried to ring it once and found out it was not the phone number for ringing plusnet. BT tested the line and say it works. May be a fault with the lead in computer and phone socket so may have to look at changing it to see if it will work.

Thank you.

Sals
bobgidden
Grafter

0845 dial up problem

Ah! Thanks for the detail!

You do NOT plug the lead (wall-phone-socket-to-the-PC) into the socket which says 'Phone' ! You plug the wall socket to 'Line'.

The idea is, if you want a phone beside the PC, or if it is your only phone socket, you can still do this:

Wall :~~~~~~~~~~~~~: 'Line' [__PC__] 'Phone':~~~~~~~~~~~Ordinary Telephone

and the ordinary phone will work through the PC when the PC is not online (but the PC _can_ be switched on).

If this _doesn't_ work, then you have a bad lead or a bad modem. Sad

The only real way to test is if you get a friend's computer round and check that they can plug into your socket and lead and get it working.

There is actually a limit to how many bits you can plug into a domestic system, even with extensions. You can normally get away with 3 or 4 phones, an answering machine (if separate), a fax instead of one of the phones, and your PC/modem. If you have more than this, unplug some and check again!

Hope this helps,

BobG