cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

your mailbox has been 'blackholed'. ???

N/A

Recieved this today from plusnet towers but as I access my default mailbox everyday through outlook express don't know what to make of it? any idea's folks?

"This email is to inform you that your mailbox has been 'blackholed'.
This means that we are no longer accepting E-Mail to your default mailbox.

We have taken this action as you have not accessed your default mailbox since 12:23:37 16/06/2005.
To keep your mailbox active, you need to access it and collect E-Mail at least once in a 180 day period."

thanks tom
11 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi Tom,

Raising this with Networks this very second.
James
Grafter

Hi Tom,

This refers to only your default mailbox (postmaster@tomniblock.plus.com) which you haven't tried accessing (according to our systems) since the date given in the email.

This will not affect any of your other mailboxes that you have with us. If you disagree with this information please forward me the email that you received & raise a ticket.

I'm only here for another 15 minutes.
James
Grafter

Hi,

Just to correct my earlier statement - this will stop emails being received into the catch all side of your account. Any emails going to *ANY* of your mailboxes will still be received.
N/A

James,
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought my default mailbox was postmaster@tomniblock.plus.com but after checking my mailbox's it appeares to be tomniblock@tomniblock.plus.com! my mistake by the look of it so i shall sort it out in the next day or so.

thanks and have a good Crimble.

regards tom
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In your mail client you access your default mailbox with an account name of "tomniblock". All of your named mailboxes you access using "tomniblock+mailboxname". It's the default you haven't accessed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Cheers elvin, got it sussed now thanks to your simple explanation.
regards tom
waldron
Grafter

I'm not sure I understand the implications of all this. I don't have any special mailboxes set up and access all my mail via Outlook Express.
Does this mean that all mail sent to me will go into this mailbox, irrespective of what is specified in front of the '@' sign?
Does it also mean that if my default mailbox was 'blackholed' I wouldn't receive any mail at all?
Mand
Grafter

If you don't have any specific mailboxes setup all mail will go into the catch all mailbox.

As long as you access this on a regular basis it will not be blackholed.
waldron
Grafter

Thanks, Mand.
Liam
Grafter

Right, we've identified a reporting issue that has fired this email out to customers where actually - they've not been blackholed at all.

We're hopefully going to be sending an email to all affected customers detailing this in the next hour or so and apologising for the error.
MrToast
Grafter

As long as you access this (default mailbox) on a regular basis it will not be blackholed.

Some supplementary questions if I may:

1/ What about specific mailboxes?

2/ Is this a new procedure (to blackhole unused mailboxes)?

3/ Once blackholed email isn't accepted and a 550 error is returned. Are there any measures in place to detect and guard against dictionary attack? Without such measures a spammer could discover real mailboxes which would be a bigger problem than an 'aimless spray' into the defualt mailbox.