cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox live - Anyone got direct connection working?

N/A

Hi there

I know some of what I am going to say is repeated in other posts, so I am sorry for this.

I have an xbox 360 console. I want to be able to connect it to xbox live. I would like to be able to connect it using the direct connection method - Ethernet cable from back of console direct to my BT voyager 205 router (which is compatible - according to the xbox.com site). However my problem is with the DNS settings. I have tried:

212.159.13.50 - these are listed in my account control panel

I have also tried

212.159.6.10 - which are listed in these forums.

Xbox users will know that there is a test settings feature on the 360 where it tests all your network settings. It passes the IP one fine but fails the DNS test.

Has anyone got there xbox to connect to xbox live through the direct connection method. I am using the Ethernet cable provided with the xbox 360 console. I have contacted plusnet support, as yet no response.

thanks for any replies
7 REPLIES
N/A

Try setting up a DMZ in the voyager setup, and give it a specific IP address.

Then allocate your xbox the same IP address that you entered into the DMZ.

You need to forward ports 88 and 3074 to this IP address
N/A

I take it we are talking about an Xbox 360 here? Direct connection on Xbox live rarely works in my experience. You are much better getting a wireless setup. Get a wireless router like the Netgear DG 834G for your PC and get the official wireless bridge for your Xbox and you can be up and running on live within 10mns.
N/A

On my xbox I set the DNS to my routers local address 192.168.0.1 my router is a netgear but it also worked fine with linksys.
It also works with auto selected i.e. it gets the IP and dns settings through DHCP that your router should be providing?

I would not go the WiFi route as it's generally sh$t dispite what the other poster said your far better wired.
N/A

It's not really true about wired being better than wireless not for me anyway. I have a 98% strength signal on my wired connection so there is virtually no loss. Even with a lot lesser strength connection you still get a good connection on wireless. The loss of a little of conenction which you don't actually notice anyway unless you are looking for it more than outweighs the hassle of fannying around with port forwarding etc on direct connection.
N/A

gotdsl is correct.

I've setup two voyager 205's for friends.

If you would rather spend the extra cash for wireless then go-a-head. Personally, I'd rather alter a couple of settings & use a cable. It's much cheaper and has NO lag/packetloss issues.

static IP (e.g. 192.168.1.10) and the DMZ assigned to it. use 192.168.1.1(default router address) as the DNS in the 360.

If you want to use port-forwarding instead of the DMZ:

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
N/A

If you are planning on using the Xbox 360 for anything other than gaming (maybe as an extender for a media center pc as I do), Microsoft recommend that you go wireless with 801.11a (as opposed to b or g). The DG834G is b/g only - so you might want to consider that if making purchases, although the 360 wireless adapter is a/b/g of course.

Certainly having listened to some of the XBOX team on Major Nelson's blogcast (www.majorneslon.com), they seem to have wired connections in many cases. (This is a great source of 360 info from the guy in charge of XBOX Live programming if anyone is interested).

I have a wireless set up in the house, but my Media Center and XBOX remain on wired connections - they are just dead reliabe and loads cheaper than buying the 360 wireless adapter!

I used the automatic set up with the 360 and it worked fine btw, but I don't have that particular modem - I actually have a Negear DG834G.

Spooks
N/A

I read that Microsoft recommend an "a" frequency for your wireless router but in practice i have found that doesn't matter at all. You shouldn't believe everything you read especially if it's been written by Microsoft. Cheesy