cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

woefull adsl speed

N/A

woefull adsl speed

Been through the ticketing system. Done all the tweaks and changed all the settings to no avail. I have tried a usb modem in lieu of my router, and this rules that out as the problem. My exchange is only recently enabled, I was quick off the mark and had DSL after 8 days. Speed was good, for perhaps 3-4 days, 490kbs. now (example thursday morning 00:10 219kbs) it seems to be poor any time i check it. I've done the download tests too, and its usually 25kBs.
Having just paid £70.00 for activation I have told support not to task BT, they said if they didn't find a fault they'd charge £100.00.
How can this be right, I mean do I have a fault or is it contention, perhaps novelty?
I have lately been using a laptop via wireless (connects at 11Mbs) and this too is woeful. the problem lies outwith my premises, but is it a fault or contention.
I think rather than risk paying BT £100 I'd jump ship. It's not worth the money I'm paying, in the state its in.
I've had the whoosh test done and it was 'within limits'. all it is is a tracert.
heres tonights tracert to 212.159.13.50: 1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 192.*.*.*
2 30 ms 30 ms 40 ms [195.166.128.11]
3 30 ms 40 ms 30 ms [212.159.1.3]
4 30 ms 40 ms 30 ms [195.166.129.21]
5 30 ms 40 ms 40 ms [212.159.13.50]

Is it relevant that my first attempt to do this took a round about route, was cancelled on the 11th hop, with the 3 before that timing out?
I am sure this is a plusnet problem. the 2nd hop [195.166.128.11] is a plusnet IP allocation. I'd be keen to hear from support on this issue. I won't pay for a service this poor for very long. :?:
9 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

woefull adsl speed

Hi there,

Is there any chance you can try alternate hardware? I see you mention in your ticket that you might be obtaining some...
N/A

alternate hardware

Like it says in my post YES.
I've used a usb DSL modem, connected to my laptop, and found similar results. This is a totally independent system.
This rules out my switch , DSL router and PC as probable causes.
I did a speed test this morning and found it to be 462kbs, the highest I've seen in a while. This was at 08:50 on a midweek school morning. Not many users on then I'd say.

Also my router stats indicate a good noise margin, typically 38dB, and high attenuation (+40dB) again giving me confidence in my initial link to the exchange.
N/A

Re: alternate hardware

Like it says in my post YES.
I've used a usb DSL modem, connected to my laptop, and found similar results. This is a totally independent system.
This rules out my switch , DSL router and PC as probable causes.
I did a speed test this morning and found it to be 462kbs, the highest I've seen in a while. This was at 08:50 on a midweek school morning. Not many users on then I'd say.

Also my router stats indicate a good noise margin, typically 38dB, and high attenuation (+40dB) again giving me confidence in my initial link to the exchange.

Hello,

I've just had a look at all the comments on your account history and at no point can I see that you have followed the Network Optimiser instructions as at the following link - http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?bvIkeqvfDEk%3D
I would advise trying this advice as many speed issues have improved after using it.
If you haven't already, try connecting direct to the master phone socket with your ADSL hardware cable(omit the use of any extension cables used) and remove all connected devices from the ADSL line whether they are in the master socket or an additional socket. Some types of phone can even affect the ADSL signal. Try using the connection with the advised set up and see if there is any improvement in speed.
N/A

woefull adsl speed

I have optimised my network, perhaps not through your site, but i got a link for one off somewhere else. the magic figure for MTU has been applied. Here is the instruction I followed:
Download and run this http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.exe

The settings i use are as follows
Tcp Recieve Window "13900"
Windows scaling "Default"
Time Stamping "Default"
Selective Acks "Default"
Dial Up (RAS) MTU "1430"
Path MTU Discovery "Default"
Black Hole Detection "Default"
Max Duplicapte Acks " Left blank! "
TTL "Left Blank!"

As I recall It reported no issues.
Surely if this was a settings problem the performance figure would be consistently poor?

regarding the physical connection in the house I have done all these things, even removing the face plate of the master socket and going straight onto the line without even a splitter.
Anyway I need to do a few downloads tonight, so can't do a speed test (well 1 that would be relevant). I have downloaded the optimiser you said in your post and will try that later if i can.
I'll post up the results
Ianwild
Grafter

woefull adsl speed

HI,

What exchange are you on?

Do you know anyone from your exchange who has ADSL as well?

Try searching for your exchange name here to see if any other ADSLGuide users are having a problem on that exchange.

This is not unheard of (Where's kittz gone?). The customers of the newly enabled Fleetwood exchange experianced just this problem, however i'm guessing it's fixed based on the silence?

Regards.
N/A

woefull adsl speed

I am on the antrim exchange, but unfortunately haven't found anyone else who is, but they must be out there somewhere.
I'll continue to try and find them, but I think its not unreasonable to suppose I may be experiencing a deluge of new high bandwidth users downloading the entire internet.
I've seen elsewhere that contention is based on 50 users sharing 3Mbs, so I suppose this means if 7 or 8 are on simultaneously I will see a drop off.
I guess I'm happy to wait and see hoew it goes.
All things considered it's still good
BTW I heard on ADSLguide that fleetwood was solved by increasing the bandwidth to (some say up to) 6Mbs per 50 users.
Ianwild
Grafter

woefull adsl speed

Thanks for the info about Fleetwood. It would seem as though BT are installing these exchanges with minimal bandwidth with a plan to upgrade them as the demand increases. I guess the demand is increasing too quickly for them to cope...

With Fleetwood, it was a combination of ISPs that eventually got the problem recognised by BT. We can log this with BT and push it, but it would really help to find out whether other users on the same exchange were having problems.

Are you aware of any local discussion forums? Probably not relevant but http://www.irishwan.org run forums and might have some DSL users where you are?

Regards,
N/A

other users

Hi Ian, I've found a forum, and:
http://www.ni-minis.co.uk/phpnic/viewtopic.php?t=182&highlight=speeds
Will take you to a thread of users on my exchange (ANTRIM) who have mostly noticed a similar problem.
This is surely something which could be passed to BT to at least comment on.
I'd be keen to hear what you think on this matter. I have advised other users on that forum to raise it with their respective ISP's too.
Ianwild
Grafter

woefull adsl speed

Hi There,

I have made a post over in that forum regarding this.

Can you ensure that all of the details I have suggested are raised in your own Contact Us ticket - I will chase this from the managaement point of view, but we still need to get this logged via our normal procedures.

Regards,