cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why so slow

N/A

why so slow

hi i have buisnet 20-1 connection i pay £60+ per month my wife has another provider and pays £14+ per month (yes i have 2 phone lines in my house) we play on pogo site playing cards i am 3 seconds behind her most of the evening so i decided to run some speed tests and download tests only to find she has over 3 meg and i have just over 2 meg connection
i have spoken to bt and am told that both lines run from the same part of the exchange and i can get 6 meg on both lines and it must be from the isp
yet when i run your fault diagnostic it says
The local telephone exchange, from where your broadband service is provided is currently experiencing very high levels of contention, with many broadband users. As a result of this, you may experience slower connection speeds during busy periods

can someone please advise why i lag by 3 seconds i have even swapped over so i am on the other provider and she is on plusnet and she then goes 3 seconds slower Shockedops:
6 REPLIES
N/A

me too !!

I've had problems too - this is my reply to plus.net:

your proably rate - the current rain conditions must be affecting my connection.

I am not prepared to accept the BT charge - but will rememeber that I've had similar problems before are strangley enough always seem to be sorted out on their own.

a number of my firends who also use plus.net have had similar problems with BT. If you read the forums - as you are not allowed too - will see that I am not the only one in the same position.

I will continue, throught the forums, to progress this unacceptable situation that plus.net cannot accept problems are occuring without their network.

Also, whilst in Manchester today, I've spoke with an indendant source, to try and work out how I can resolve this problem.

You are trying to push the problem back on the end user - there's been nothing changed in MY HOUSE, MY NETORK, etc - so you are probably gonna say it's my hardware again.

Rubbish - sort out your own problems first !
N/A

leave

if i want to move my isp do i need anything from plusnt and where do i get it
thehatman
Grafter

why so slow

In the last few days my speed (on PN's own meter) has dipped below one megabyte for the first time since I was maxed some months ago.

Something has gone wrong in the last few days.

Any technical response from PN would be appreciated.

I don't like changing all my setting when they've been working solidly for some time.
N/A

Re: leave

if i want to move my isp do i need anything from plusnt and where do i get it

raise a tech support request for a MAC code. take said code to your new ISP of choice and migrate. couldnt be easier.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: why so slow

can someone please advise why i lag by 3 seconds i have even swapped over so i am on the other provider and she is on plusnet and she then goes 3 seconds slower Shockedops:

Hi,

There could be a number of reasons and the exchange being on red is certainly one of them. Does the BT speedtest report the same kind of speeds?

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Unless the other connection is also on IPStream Max Premium/Office then it will be connected to a different set of line cards at the exchange and depending on the exchange will very likely be on a different VP which may be seeing a higher level of contention.
N/A

test done

well i did the test and got this result
Nildram 4657 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Plusnet 6619 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

correct me if im wrong but this says you are faster yet i still only download on your service at 2kbs max but on nildram i get over 10 kbs all i do is unplug the adsl lead from 1 router to the other and monitor for 10 mins
i also get a ping time in games of 500+ and get kicked for high ping on plusnet Shockedops: