cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is it all about fastest download speed ?

N/A

why is everyone raving about getting higher and higher download speeds.. ? is everyone geared to this..? wouldnt it be nice for the first isp..perhaps plusnet could be it.... to rave of a higher upload speed being offered as a bonus to premier customers.. i for one who does a little downloading ... but more uploading to friend in usa... would benefit from this even at a loss of some download speed... my friend can send to me at 43kb sec... and when i send a file there its sickening for a same size file to take twice as long to send.... and from my friends point of view thinks us in the uk are living in the dark ages.. what benefit is there in 100mb downloading when the upload of legal files is so poor..... cannot anyone at an isp see they may gain more customers by giving this faster speed to people... Huh comments please.... how many more like me would like more upload and a little less on isps pushing the download in there adverts.... perhaps plusnet could enlighten me on this too.....
thanks..vince.
10 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Unfortunately ISPs are limited to the upload speed that BT will allow and offer through their exchanges. Currently this is 256k and most ISPs offer that full speed.

With the advent of MaxDSL currently being trialled this will be upped to nearer 512k and 1Mb on 50:1 and 20:1 IPStream products respectively.
N/A

I think a higher upload would suite me perfect uploading files to my site is really annoying at 30kbps! Would better upload speeds mean better gaming pings and web cam conversations
N/A

so according to that it wont be on the premier account....i currently have... and plusnet will charge more for this....?...
LiamM
Grafter

Whether Plusnet will charge more is unknown, The standard upload will shortly be nearer 512k as far as I am aware. Nearer 1Mb upload is only available, as i said, on 20:1 packages - which means only on the highest price Business product.
N/A

do the LLU isp's have the ability to offer higher upload speeds? as they don't have to go through bt.
kitz
Rising Star

>> Would better upload speeds mean better gaming pings?

adsl Pings are more dependant upon routing (+ a few other factors) and therefore latency is not really affected by your connection speed.

In a weird way higher connection speeds dont actually mean faster as such in the way of acceleration.. but it means that you can pull/push more data in the same time.

I'm trying to think of an easy and very simple way to explain this.... Think of a motorway which is your line, and cars as your data...

If you have one lane then you can get 1 car travelling from A --> B as quick as it can.
If you have four lanes then 4 cars can travel as quick as they can, without having to be in a queue behind each other.

Therefore if you have 2Mb rather than 512kbp it simply means that you can get 4 times the amount of data in the same time.
Its simply a widening of the pipe to allow more data through rather than a true acceleration of speed.

Pings are very small amounts of data and therefore take the same amount of time to get from A --> B no matter how wide the pipe is.

So would webcams be better?.. that depends on what software you use and what max speed it can stream at.. but obviously if your "pipe" is wider then you can send more data.. which would mean that the recipient (subject to their own speeds) would get more frames per second giving a smoother picture stream.

Hope that makes sense?
kitz
Rising Star

>> it wont be on the premier account....

Not on the 2Mb premier account.

However the higher upstream connection speed of 448kbps* should be available on the £29.99 and £39.99 products. (Subject to your line condition)

The "up to 832kbps" upstream connection is only available from BTw as a 20:1 product, so you would therefore be required to purchase a business maxDSL account to get this even higher upstream.

Its worthwhile pointing out at this stage that the MaxDSL is a different product set and if you are currently on say 2Mb premier, then this would involve Plusnet requesting BT to regrade your line which incurs a BTw regrade fee. So expect to pay £14.99 for this regrade - unless you currently pay £29.99 or £39.99 per month from the old 1Mb and 2Mb product set, in which case iirc Plusnet will pay this fee for you.

*Remember that although the connection speed may be 448kbps, because of overheads the speeds you will get would actually be nearer 50 KB/sec.
N/A

perfect sence Wink but would still like more than 30kbps
kitz
Rising Star

perfect sence Wink but would still like more than 30kbps

lol get in the queue then waiting for the MaxDSL products to be released. *
/me shoves browney out of the way.. me first... me first Wink

*Just make sure you dont think you will get it that much quicker by paying for the 29.99 and 39.99 products now. Smiley
N/A

:lol: