cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why hasnt my speed been increased from 2mbps?

N/A

hi we got an email a couple months ago telling us we were being upgraded to hihger speeds but the speed never increased from 2mbps.

please can you tell me why or how i can request to be upgraded. thanks
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

do you know what speed you are actually connected to the exchange at? It could be that your line can't take any higher a speed.
Check here http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp?s_cid=FURL-broadband

It could also be that as yet you've not actually been upgraded. Indeed it could also be that your modem can't handle anymore than 2mbps without new drivers installed speedtouch usb modems may need a driver upgrade.

Have you looked at your line spped profile?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Have you tried the bt speed tester?
http://speedtester.bt.com/

Cjeck these figures out then post back and forum users might be able to help more.

A
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If an attempt has been made to upgrade your line you would have received emails telling you this was being done a few days beforehand. However from the Autumn the upgrades were not automatic, you had to request them - have you done this?

Information can be found here
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi,

I've made some changes at this end. Can you try rebooting and retesting?
N/A

hi thanks for doing that, i rebooted router and now i go to stable rate option and it says 6000 instead of 2000 so it looks better Cheesy but when i do a speed test on this site it still only gets 2.42mbps

will it just take a little bit for it to change or does something else need to be done?

thanks
James
Grafter

N/A

Sorry to hijack, but I have applied twice to upgraded to full speed and yet am still at 2mb. Why have you not actioned this yet PN?
James
Grafter

Hi, my name's James Smiley
James
Grafter

Sorry to hijack, but I have applied twice to upgraded to full speed and yet am still at 2mb. Why have you not actioned this yet PN?

Try rebooting in about 15 minutes. You should notice an upturn in speed. Basically your upgrade was completed, but we didn't receive, or didn't action the speed report we're sent by BT.
N/A

Try http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

ok i did this test 3 times and got about these speeds:

these arent really that much faster do you know why theyre not nearer 5.5? because the test on BT's site says i can get up to 5.5 on my line with them?

thanks
James
Grafter

You probably need to look at exchange contention. There are probably lots of other people on the same exchange us you, using the bandwidth on the exchange.

During busy times of the day it will be expected to get slowerr speeds, whereas these speeds will increase when your exchange is quieter.
N/A

ok, thats good to know.

thanks for th help, i appriciate it.
N/A

hi, james i was wonderin if you could explain why my connection speed says that 6000 is the stable rate but when i do a speed test i only get around 3mbps?

thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The stable_rate figure on the portal represents the maximum throughput speed on your line, the throughput speed that BT have set at the exchange. In reality it probably won't ever reach this, even off peak, because of the overheads. Whilst when the exchange is busy it is normal to see a reduction in speed because of exchange side contention.

If you try it early in the morning or overnight I would expect a faster speed.
N/A

ok thamks, understand it completely now.