cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does it not work

N/A

why does it not work

I have been told today that I connect my modem and start my broadband connection. I have diligently install the modem software and put the new username (myusername@plusdsl.net) but it does not work when I try to connect so I suspect my line has not really been activated so I am still stuck using the 0845 number (and paying for broadband). What should be doneHuh

Thanks

M.
50 REPLIES
N/A

why does it not work

I have to put myusername@plus.net rather than 'myusername@plusdsl.net'. It might be worth a try.

Best of luck anyway.
curati
Grafter

why does it not work

you seem to be having a similar problem to me. I have tried both @plusdsl.net and @plus.net with no joy.

I was originally told that everything would be in place by noon today so I'm waiting until then til I really start getting annoyed. I too received the email saying that broadband was ready at about 1pm yesterday. Adsl appears to be active as my phone doesn't work in socket without the microfilter - but when i try to dial it says "no dialing tone"

I've got an extension lead that goes upstairs to where the computer is and I was a bit worried that the signal would not be able to travel along the cable so I tried setting up my laptop next to the downstairs phone socket. I tried dialing on about 10 different occasions and still got "no dialing tone" except for one occasion - when it said "cannot connect to remote computer". On that one occasion the modem was definately doing something because the middle (dsl) light was flashing. However on trying to dial after that and it has failed to find the dialing tone.

keep trying
Alecto
Grafter

why does it not work

If you got the email, it should be working and there's no point waiting till noon.
Why don't you ring support - they'll confirm the status for you, and may even be able to help get it going.
N/A

why does it not work

Its the 'no dialing tone' bit that bothers me.
what operating system are you using? I know if you use a USB modem you have to pretend to be dialing up - but youre not. I also remember in the far distant past there was an option to 'detect dialing tone' before dialing although dont know if that was just earlier versions of windows - memory is not what it used to beSmiley
If there is that option disable it and you might find everything works.
I could of course be talking out of my proverbial - if so just ignore me and I will go awaySmiley
curati
Grafter

why does it not work

I am using a voyager 105 usb modem.
my operating system is windows xp (with sp2 - i disable firewall during setup)

i've been trawling through the web and have heard some pretty damning things about the voyager 105. Specifically in regard to not being able to cope with weak signals. I don't think I live in particularly remote area but is there anyway of finding out online where my exchange is supposed to be so that i can work out the approximate distance?

I've used BT's broadband checker and they said my exchange was Prestwich - but where in prestwich would it be?
N/A

why does it not work

curati
Grafter

why does it not work

thanks

i appear to be about 1.5 miles away from the exchange - doesn't sound as if I'm that far away to produce a weak signal. I know some people who can get broadband at or 4 miles.
N/A

why does it not work

Its the 'no dialing tone' bit that bothers me

Many USB modems, if they cant synch with the exchange will report a no dialling tone error.

For those experiencing problems I would recommend reading thisarticle from the tutorials and FAQ section of the forums.
curati
Grafter

why does it not work

just wondered if frongles had experienced any joy in their account since problems yesterday

i still can't get online.

ho hum
N/A

why does it not work

Hi curati,

I was just about to post in response to the other thread. It would seem that you are not getting synch with the exchange.

If you check the tutorial which I linked to above, especially the link contained in that article to adsl wiring and filters and compare that to your own set up. If you feel all is correct at your end give support a ring on 0845 1400200 and see what they say.

Hope you get sorted soon.
curati
Grafter

why does it not work

thanks for the help

i think i understand how splitters and filters work now. my persisting problem is getting any signal at all. I've contacted plus net and they said they would get bt to run a line check on it or something.

I've re-installed drivers on my laptop which is much closer to the socket than my main pc, but to no avail.

After reading through other web sites I'm tempted to believe that I may be receiving a weak signal - is there any easy way to measure this?

I'm also semi tempted to go out and buy another modem - I've heard of people having quite a bit of trouble with the voyager 105, particularly with weak signals.

Anyway I'm playing a game of wait and see for the time being.

pete
N/A

why does it not work

If you are in the position to borrow a router this will probably give you the best opportunity to check your connection.

A router when powered up and connected to your line will tell you immediately if it can synch. Many will also give you your line stats.

If this is not an option then all you can do is sit back and wait for BT to do their thing.

If this is an early activation fault then I am sure Plus Net will look after you when it comes billing time. Smiley
curati
Grafter

why does it not work

bizarely enough i do have a router, unfortunately it is one of those wireless ones that needs to have a modem plugged into it. So that's not much help.

How long do you think I'll have to wait. I reported the problem about 2 or 3 hours ago.

Could it be today or will I have to wait til monday
N/A

why does it not work

Hard to say.

If this problem requires input from the Provisioning and Faults team, then it may not get looked at till Monday as they dont work weekends. It may be dealt with by the CSC but even then if the relevant people at BT only work Monday - Friday then it is still Monday, at best, before it is actioned.

Perhaps a call to the CSC will clarify. They will do their best.