cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why can't we have longer passwords?

N/A

As our username and password accesses amongst other things our email accounts and account details/settings, why can't we have a longer reasonably strong password? The current setup is surely quite straightforward to crack?

Most other systems I use won't allow passwords as short and weak as the ones for our +net accounts.
4 REPLIES
N/A

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. Amongst the many online accounts I have many passwords. Most quite convoluted. This has to be the only system where I have ever been

forced

to use a simple password. I've always felt quite exposed as a result.

(I tell a lie I once had a d-link router that did not allow more than 6 characters for a password. Naturally I got rid of it)
N/A

Has been discussed some number of times before. If you're adamant you want it, then why not add to the thread over on the PUG Forum about user-requested changes to the Portal.

Personally, if I felt that passwords were too simple on PN then I'd keep the minimum of information coming into a PN mailbox, and use a combination of upper and lower case letters and a sprinkling of digits.

I've used systems in the past which forced a new password choice every three months, and some which don't allow user changes from a non-mnemonic randomly created set of characters. Those force me to write them down, something I avoid with the majority of passwords (and I have some 300+ I keep in my head).
N/A

Is the pug now a 'more official' forum than this one? Or is just that theres a thread running somewhere on there already?

My main concern is that I would probably be held in some way responsible for any 'misuse' of my account or anything associated with it. I use what I believe is a good password scheme given the limitation placed on the password length.
N/A

The PUG forum is not the official forum.

When posting over there your posting int he PUG forum mainly for the attention of PUG but with PN taking notice also.

Theres a lot more to PUG besides just that, but I wouldnt want to spoil the fun now would I lol.