cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who feels its unfair to have a 15gb quota for usenet

N/A

i just checkd my email and realise that f9 are pulling the same stunt with this quota stunt they done last time.where if u go over a quota they lower your speed until the next month its seems to be that f9 have too many customers and not enough bandwidth for the users so they are pulling this stunt whichis unfair.so now i am egttingg 30 kbs from nesgroups
17 REPLIES
N/A

[removed by author]
N/A

And the worst part - this 15GB quota applies to ALL account types. So people like me who bought a premier account to download from Usenet am only getting the same performance I could get from a cheaper account type.

Exactly WHAT use is a premier account these days over a cheaper one, if they are going to put the same quotas on both?
philproc
Dabbler

And the worst part - this 15GB quota applies to ALL account types. So people like me who bought a premier account to download from Usenet am only getting the same performance I could get from a cheaper account type.

Exactly WHAT use is a premier account these days over a cheaper one, if they are going to put the same quotas on both?

Exactly what I was thinking. What are the advantages now of a premium account, can anyone tell me?

Contention ratio means sod all if you can only download at 30kb/s

Why am I paying an extra £6 someone tell me!!
N/A

i totally agree with you with a premier account which is suppsed to be unlimted it should apply to usernet allso.allso i think that f9 bringing in a quota is a way for tham to cut Bandwithd usage
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It isn't supposed to be unlimited though. It's not unlimited at all, it's a contended broadband service on a shared network.

As such our service isn't suitable for people who need to download 100's GB's month in month out, it isn't suitable for someone who wants to treat it as an unlimited connection, because it isn't unlimited.
N/A

Struth!!!

What I'd like to know is that if I've only just started trying to get something from Usenet and find that I haven't got a chance of getting 30Kbs from Use net.

I have used 6Gb by your info
I am finding it very hard to even get the web page of giganews up - forget the NNTP
A default ping to either giganews or easynews is dropping 1 in 8 - 10 packets
BUT as soon as I up the packet size to something like 5 - 10Kb **ALL** packets are LOST

This is absolutely pathetic!!! You just want to sign up people who don't actually use the internet, maybe 1 - 2Gb a month max

Fine - I'm off, as soon as I've identified an appropriate service
N/A

Hi All ..

This is the reply from a ticket I raised ...

Actioned : Dear ********,
We have recently made some changes to our network with regards to usenet traffic. For the first 15GB the proirity of the data is silver and will allow for faster downloads after the 15GB the priority is reduced to bronze and as such slower download speeds will be experienced. This will reset every calander month. Previous to these changes all usenet traffic has a bronze priority.
Our networks team are aware that the speeds are not as fast as expected before implementation and this is being looked at currantly.

Regards,

As I have stated to F9, If I want Silver & Bronze i'll join the Olympics.

Hey, let's go with the whole Christmas theme and introduce Frankincense and Mhur capping ..... Wink

All jokes aside ... F9 please take a realistic approach to this one,.
N/A

I got a similar ticket. The funny thing is, how can I get BETTER Usenet performance for the first 15GB when I ALWAYS used to get full speed anyway?

Also, since when did anyone say we wanted 100GB/month downloads?
I was quite happy doing 30-60GB/month which was well within the SUP. The fact that its now IMPOSSIBLE for me to do that due to the decreased Usenet speed seems unreasonable to me seeing as I wasnt breaking any rules in doing that.

Also im paying Easynews for 20GB/month bandwidth, whereas now the last 5GB is pretty much pointless as its too slow to use it.

The biggest argument of course is the off-peak usage rule. I would always try to download during the off-peak hours whereas at the new reduced speed im forced to download 24/7 in order to get the files some time this year. So by having the 15GB cap im actually using MORE bandwidth during the daytime, which is exactly what you did NOT want me to do.

Incidentally dcaddick, check out http://www.zenadsl.com/ - thats where im going.
philproc
Dabbler

Incidentally dcaddick, check out http://www.zenadsl.com/ - thats where im going.

Check out their T&C they say they have no plans for restriction but as usual they cover themselves.

Quote:

Excessive bandwidth or disk utilisation

Zen account descriptions specify current limits on bandwidth and disk utilisation. Where limits are not specifically defined the judgement of the Zen Internet Technical Support team shall be used to define those limits. The use of bandwidth or disk space in excess of those limits is not permitted. The total number of bytes transferred from an account’s Web and FTP space determines bandwidth utilisation. The total number of bytes required to store an account’s Web, FTP, and Mail data determines disk utilisation.

If Zen determines that excessive bandwidth or disk space utilisation is adversely affecting Zen's ability to provide service, Zen may take immediate action. Zen will attempt to notify the account owner by e-mail as soon as possible.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

ISP's who offer unlimited packages will have to start managing them one way or another or they will have problems. Especially with faster and faster speeds around the corner, ISPs who don't manage the network or have some sort of usage limit will run into problems.
N/A

"The total number of bytes transferred from an account’s Web and FTP space determines bandwidth utilisation"

This would sugges that in *this* particular case they are talking about your web/ftp usage on your included website not your traffic transfer over the network.

The total number of bytes required to store an account’s Web, FTP, and Mail data determines disk utilisation. "

Again I think this isnt realted to total traffic but more where they are hosting data for you, unless they have a web-cache they would not be storing web & ftp data from external sites.

However make no mistake *ALL* ISP's include provision for maintain their network. The question is if, when and how they will do it.

Sure Zen is publically advertising as unlimited, and F9 are right it probably it wont last for ever. However unless the whole of the market adopt the same policies as F9 there will always be alternatives and I cant see the whole of market turning within the next 12 months probably longer, I think it will be a drawn out process as ISPs try to hold onto unlimited status for as long as possible to capture that market that F9 is excluding, and that will become more prominent as speeds increase.

....lets face it which sells better? limited or unlimited? but most people probably wont question how long it will last only that they can get it now.

N/A

Like I have said before, its not even a matter of unlimited to me - I know theres ALWAYS a limit somewhere even if its just the fact that I don't have enough free disk space. :roll:

The issue is capping WEB traffic.
I do NOT think its acceptable for an ISP to say "right, this site is providing a Usenet service so it gets capped" because if they are willing to do it to Easynews today, which site will they do it to tomorrow?
Will it be services like Steam as you are potentially downloading DVDs worth of game data which will quickly add up?
How about other download sites? I have already noticed a drop in speed from Gamespot but cannot tell if its Force9 or just their Gamespot reducing their bandwidth cap.
Will it take me years to download Mandriva ISOs in the future because they decide the mirror sites use too much bandwidth?
Theres just no way to know and the problem is - they only EVER tell us they are going to do it MONTHS after its already been done and we are complaining about it.
N/A

I agree and thats why I have just finished requesting my MAC code.
N/A

Hi blandie

I think you've may have misunderstood the concept here, the central issue as I understand it is that F9 have to manage an entire network of central pipes. The way they do this is by traffic type prioritization so different services actually get managed in different ways according to time of the day i.e. peak traffic times and non peak traffic times. F9 have said that they have taken onboard feedback from customers directly and on that basis found that the most extreme usenet users never exceeded 15GB's of data.

**Using the banking & money analogue once again.The bank has provided you with a 15GB overdraft you are COMPLTELY free to use that when, were & how you wish. NOBODY!! is forcing you or telling you how to spend your data transfer abilities (Bandwidth). YES! like a bank if you go over your agreed overdraft limit then of course the bank doesnt like it and gets very twichy. And thats because its the banks money you are taking NOT yours. In the banks case they are also going to hit you for costly fee's if you go over your agreed OD limits without asking & also probably up the interest rate too on your debits. Just to add to the pain & strain.

However the difference here is that F9 have given usenet users some "latitude" & if you go over the limit the speed of the service is reduced you can still use the service (yes! more slowly agreed). So unlike a bank F9 dont freeze your bank account & stop all transactions immediately or completely.

Personally I dont see these limitations as unreasonable, users of this service know what the limits are now & so can decide one way or another if these are acceptible to them. IMO 15GB per month doesnt sound that tight, frankly I've never exceeded 7GB in anyone month since I've had broadband and that's getting on for close to 3 yrs now (OK, so I'm a lite user I accept that & I also can see others are NOT like me but the point remains that a user has to take SOME responsability for their own useage per month and NOT blame others or F9 if they go over the top IMO).

Ivan