cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when will 4mb or 8mb be active ??

N/A

Hi ok I no there are loads of posts but I dotn have the time to be searching threw old threads and it makes sence mods to put a 4mb 8mb thread a sticky at the top..

any way when is 4mb or 8mb going to be active ?? and will the hole UK be ative at teh same time ot just certain parts of the country ?

I have done the phone line checker thing for 8mb and it says no date has been planned yet. I remember speak to a plus.net guy on the phone a few weeks back and he said 8mb would be up and runnign for all start of april is this true ?

thanks for help !
13 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

BT are going to have MaxDSL available in most exchanges from the start of April. However, it will take a while to get eveyone moved onto the Max products due to the fact that BT can only carry out a small number of orders each day.

We're going to be getting those people on the higher speed products upgraded first, and then towards the end of April submit a bulk order to have everyone else moved accross.
N/A

We're going to be getting those people on the higher speed products upgraded first, and then towards the end of April submit a bulk order to have everyone else moved accross.

I don't see the logic in this. The ones on slower speeds will see more benefit than those already on higher speeds who probably won't notice much difference? Unless it is for a technical reason.

Couldn't we just go down the upgrade route and have it done quicker?
JonathanW
Grafter

The people on the current Up To 4mb and Up To 8mb products are being upgraded first as they've been paying for the speeds for some time now.

We are going to be offering a jump the queue option, but the details of this are still being finalised internally as there are only so many orders we can place with BT.
N/A

I hope the 'jump the queue' option will not let someone on a cheaper product jump ahead of someone such as myself, who has been paying for an 8mb service without receiving it for more the better part of a year.
N/A

I can understand it being annoying that 2mb customers will be able to jump the queue. My exchange will be maxDSL enabled on 31/3/06 so potentially I could get 8mb. I am on a 2mb connection atm, monthly contract and wouldnt want to be delayed due to Plusnet keeping people happy. After all, we are all customers of Plusnet. If I put in for an upgrade as from 1/4/06, what could Plusnet do to prevent this happening, as if they turn down the upgrade then it would mean myself and others would look elsewhere for an ISP?

Also, is the maxDSL upgrade going to be chargeable or is it a free upgrade? If its chargeable I dont mind paying to get the faster speeds.
Community Veteran

if you want to wait months for an upgrade then its free otherwise I am hoping that the 14.99 regrade will be available to get upgraded in a few days
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I seem to remember one of the PlusNet reps saying that under the bulk regrade scheme they could apply for 10,000 regrades per day which means that it would only take about 16 days to place all the orders.
So why, having placed an order for the few on the 4Mb and 8Mb accounts which should only take 1 day proceed after a couple of days delay with the rest of the bulk regrades.
As BT have a limited changeover capability the principle of who gets in first gets done first must apply and if PlusNet are going to wait until the end of the month they will be at the end of the queue compared to all the other ISP's who got their finger out immediately.
Doesn't seem like a good idea to me :?
Community Veteran

I'd imagine that Jon's method of queue jumping would entail a £14.99 fee, as was done with the bulk upgrades from 512 -> upto 2meg during last year. If the expreience from that is anything to go by we could all be waiting a while for BT to process the order, especially if the order is to be put through later on in April.
N/A

I hope the 'jump the queue' option will not let someone on a cheaper product jump ahead of someone such as myself,

Hate to worry you, but brand new customers that sign up will more than likely be placed immediatly onto an up to 8mb service and be on it for possibly months until you are upgraded.
N/A

I hope the 'jump the queue' option will not let someone on a cheaper product jump ahead of someone such as myself, who has been paying for an 8mb service without receiving it for more the better part of a year.

with all due respect, no one has been forcing you to pay more than others, and the option to downgrade has always been there,
plusnet would be daft to refuse payment for an upgrade, especialy when they would be doing them for free in the end.

@simonbishop

can i ask if you have been taking advantage of the extra usage allowance on your upto 8MB package?

if not i would advise you to downgrade as soon as you recieve your upgrade to 8MB,
if you thought you had a long wait for 8MB, you will be waiting even longer for 24MB, and to carry on paying £18 over the odds would be, IMO quite barmy
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Hate to worry you, but brand new customers that sign up will more than likely be placed immediatly onto an up to 8mb service and be on it for possibly months until you are upgraded.

I'd be very supprised if this didn't happen. What would be the point of PlusNet putting a new customer on a 2Mb connection, then upgrading them to MaxDSL, when they could just put them straight on MaxDSL, and save all the extra time and effort of upgrading them later. to do it straight away it would just be a case of telling BT to connect this user on the MaxDSL product instead of telling them to put them on a Home2000 product.

Phil

Edit: to fix quote
N/A

The people on the current Up To 4mb and Up To 8mb products are being upgraded first as they've been paying for the speeds for some time now.

We are going to be offering a jump the queue option, but the details of this are still being finalised internally as there are only so many orders we can place with BT.

How many plusnet members are currently on upto 4mb and upto 8mb?.

Surely not that many :roll:

I mean who who would pay months in advance for something there not getting just to be at the front of the cue.

Surely a waste of money :roll:
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

The more expensive products also give you more usage allowances as well though. So anyone who needs more than the 30Gb/100Gb could also be on those accounts.

Phil