Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats a Captcha?

N/A

whats a Captcha?

As part of the enhanced security customers we have
introduced Captcha responses when a customer sends an email via webmail
from a non-UK IP address. This will not affect customers in the UK using Webmail.

What is a Captcha and how will this affect users if they were to send mail when abroad?
9 REPLIES
N/A

whats a Captcha?

Hi,
A Capcha is a way of obscuring words, letters or numbers so that they can't be machine read.
Its a way of blocking automated bots from using web forms for spam.

A slightly wordier explanation can be found here

Cheers,
Andrew D Wiles
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

whats a Captcha?

Hi,

A Captcha is a distorted image of letters or numbers, such as this from Wikipedia

This goes into a bit more detail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

What will happen is that when a customer sends an email via webmail from abroad, an image like that will pop up and they need to enter the characters in a box for it to send.
___oDiN__
Grafter

whats a Captcha?

i hope you are going to incorperate an audio feature too for those who have poor sight or use accessabilty options for partial sight ect
N/A

whats a Captcha?

thanks for the explanation Smiley
ceridwen
Grafter

whats a Captcha?

I don't know about machine unreadable - some of the captchas I've seen on other sights are barely human readable (for insttance I and 1, 0 and O are hard to distinguish at the best of times, so how anyone can do so when these are distorted at an angle, I've no idea).

Matthew
theharveyfamily
Grafter

whats a Captcha?

Has the introduction of this extra security got anything to do with the Webmail servers being blacklisted by SpamCop recently ?
kwhawell
Grafter

whats a Captcha?

@odinsrealm, good point! I'm one such person running JAWS www.freedomscientific.com and those cacha things realy do not work, I did find one once that had an audio thing on it, so that was ok, screen readers by their very nature can only read textual info, they can be made to read small graphics like icons well they don't read them as such but they know that they exist, and give them a number, the user can then add a suitable label for them.
they don't support any graphic largen than that of a decent sized desktop icon though so cathas are not readabl,
swynford
Dabbler

Can't read all random letters

I have just been to both Canada and Germany and used webmail while there. I was greeted with this feature for the first time - a bit unexpected but sensible to protect us all;

However, I found that many of the letter combinations were just so difficult to work out? I couldn't recognise the difference between 0 and O, nor 1 and l; there were other dubious combinations.

Fortunately, if you get it wrong it asks you again with a different combination. I don't know how many times it asks before the IP you're calling from is blocked.
N/A

whats a Captcha?

Has the introduction of this extra security got anything to do with the Webmail servers being blacklisted by SpamCop recently ?

I thought that was down to problems with mail sent from the cgi platform more than webmail itself?