cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's going on?

N/A

what's going on?

My much anticipated f9 BB connection was activated yesterday, but I cannot connect. I have configued my Conexant router thusly: VC enabled, VPI 0, VCI 38, PPPoA VC-Mux.
However, when i input myusername@f9.co.uk and password, I cannot connect. According to the router log, the CHAP authentification fails. The user id and password are invalid too, apparently (this is the same id & password that works fine for the portal).

When i change to the bt_test@startup_domain id, the session goes up.

After emailing support with no joy, I called the 'helpdesk'. The attitude of the person who answered the phone stank. He said that a line test would be conducted, but could not offer a timescale. I asked why and his response was:

"if you took a car to a garage, would you expect the mechanic to tell you how long it would take to fix it?" sic.

I answered, "well, yes" and especially if it was an unused car and they'd had the best part of a day to look at it.

Getting into a battle of wits with a helpdesk - and at my expense - isnt satisfactory.

Anyhow, i've been googling and it seems Service Selection Barring may be behind my problem. Is this possible?

And, importantly, does anyone know how to get f9 support to do their job?
9 REPLIES
N/A

what's going on?

IIRC, SSB is definetly behind your problem, as thats the way the ADSL Logins work (your realm (the bit after hte @) lets BT know which service provider to authenticate with)

Does bt_test_user@f9.co.uk work ? Use the password "test" to try it.
N/A

what's going on?

No, the bt_test_user@f9.co.uk doesnt work. Same result as my personal id.
N/A

what's going on?

if i am correct that is not the correct username to use for the bt_test domain, if you've only just got activated make sure f9 have swapped your details over so you can access via adsl.

I had to phone to get them to swap me over when my adsl became active...
jberry
Grafter

what's going on?

Hi there,

Both of those test logins will work fine:

bt_test@startup_domain - tests your connection through to BT's RAS
bt_test_user@f9.co.uk - tests your connection through to our home gateway routers

If the second one does not work then this means that either you have been provisioned on the wrong realm (our fault) or there is a fault at the RAS (BT's fault). Either way, if you contact us when you are back up and running and ask for compensation then your invoice date will be moved accordingly. If it was a BT fault then we will have to apply for compensation - known as an ELF.

The statement about timescales on the fault is correct. Because BT do not provide an SLA on ADSL, although they aim to respond to all faults within 48 hours this does not mean that they will fix them in any particular timescale.

Regards,
N/A

what's going on?

The second test id still doesnt work.

What narks me is that I raised a ticket re this problem 2 days ago - and I still cannot access the web thru ADSL.

I would've thought investigating SSB to be a solution of first resort for new users. It didnt take much googling to find out about it.

Yes, change my invoice date.

No SLA with BT huh? I'm off to browse the offcom website...
lhorwath
Grafter

what's going on?

Hi there,

I have passed this to BT to investigate further. They tend to take about 48-72hrs to respond to a fault but are under a high load at the moment, so they may take longer.

kind regards

Luke
N/A

what's going on?

magic :roll:

It puzzles me what was going on during the time between ordering and "activation".

And also what was happening between my reporting this muck-up and BT being notified...
N/A

what's going on?

BT Wholesale had a system failure or something at the weekend, which means both them and the Provisioning and Fault dept. at PlusNet are a busy trying to catch up on the backlog. I suspect this could delay things, as i understand that some of the CSRs are currently working on the backlog as well.
N/A

what's going on?

I have to agree with support on this - BT can take any length of time to fix or even check a line fault - I work for a support company and often have to get BT to check circuits for us - you are then put in a queue with the most serious faults being dealt with first - remember certain businesses will have a higher priority over a fault than other bussiness and a normal consumer.

This is the way they work.

Also remember diagnosing a fault is not that simple it can take anywhere between a few minutes and days to actually find where the particular fault is, and its even worse if the fault is intermittent.

regards
Mike