Did you mean: 

what is happening

Slick
Grafter

what is happening

is anyone else getting real slow speeds or is it just me
and like always its when your right in the middle
of something really important!!!!!

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs) : Edited thread title as it was censored and thus hard to access. Please dont swear in the title in future please Wink]
35 REPLIES
rammie1976
Grafter

what is happening

yep, like browsing thru treacle! Sad
N/A

what is happening

Yup speeds have been pathetic for the past 3 or so days for me.

The Stable Rate page is also trying to tell me that the stable rate is 1000, when prior to Max, I've had a very stable 2mb connection and for the first month of Max had a very stable 6.5Mb connection.

What is going on?
N/A

what is happening

Same here getting very poor speeds. The speeds have been dropping since yesterday evening. There's obviously yet another issue at BT or Plusnet.
N/A

what is happening

Been slow at various times for over a week now.

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
21-05-2006 15:03:30 417.5
21-05-2006 14:44:47 522
21-05-2006 14:38:09 438.3
21-05-2006 14:34:55 180
21-05-2006 14:34:19 163.1
21-05-2006 14:26:33 205.5
21-05-2006 14:26:03 212.8
17-05-2006 16:42:58 395
17-05-2006 16:40:09 278.3
17-05-2006 16:39:26 154.8

It is really starting to annoy me now ... I am thinking of switching.
N/A

what is happening

I seriously feel like PlusNet are overly-shaping traffic.

There is absolutely no point in getting 8Mb if they're going to restrict it to below 512K.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but deep down it feels like PlusNet are deliberately crippling download speeds in order to reduce total usage among its customer base, and therefore owe BT less because of its usage-based charging.
N/A

what is happening

I'll line up for this one also.....I personely think they are restricting speed to us the end user to save on £££££££.
N/A

what is happening

Remember back to when PN moved all users on to 2mb based connectivity, can any of us really be surprised that the network PN runs cannot now handle the traffic requirements of 2mb+ connections.

The only path PN can take is to shape traffic as much as possible without totally restricting access to standard internet traffic (http,https,ftp,pop3,smtp) it does seem that every other protocol seems to suffer.

It all begs the question are PN overselling on a mass scale?

Do they have the capacity to offer a service without 50% traffic shaping?
ceridwen
Grafter

what is happening

It all begs the question are PN overselling on a mass scale?

It probably isn't a coincidence that PN (or BT for that matter) have stopped quoting contention ratios.

I suspect that the true ratio of capacity against customers with the advent of ADSLMax is probably close to 100:1 on the BT parts of the network and 240:1 on the PN network.

Matthew
JonathanW
Grafter

what is happening

Same here getting very poor speeds. The speeds have been dropping since yesterday evening. There's obviously yet another issue at BT or Plusnet.

There's an easy way to check on things like this. Just run some BT speed tests, using these instructions. If these return slow results as well then its going to be down to either your line or contention at the exchange level.
Slick
Grafter

what is happening

well pn should pull there finger out of there ass
and put in more pipes / purchase more bandwidth
as this is wot we pay for !!

oh and how can a s s be censored f f s
N/A

what is happening

Because it's a "family" forum...kids may visit

What the hell kind of kid would visit this forum :roll:
shellsong
Grafter

what is happening

The ones that are sorting out the internet connection for their parents? Tongue :lol:
N/A

what is happening

You've got me there :lol:
JonathanW
Grafter

what is happening

well pn should pull there finger out of there <a href="http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/faq.php#1">[censored]</a>
and put in more pipes / purchase more bandwidth
as this is wot we pay for !!

Unfortunately, this isn't the easy fix that it appears to be. A single 622mbps BT central costs ~£1.7million per year. A single extra segment wouldn't make that much impact on the network as a whole, and buying several extra segments would mean that account prices would have to rise in order to maintain the sustainability of the packages.

Additionally, if the issue does lie in the exchange, as could easilly be the problem now that a large number of people are on speeds above 2mb across the various ISPs. This is why the essential first step to diagnose speed faults is the BT Speed Tester, mentioned above, as this completly cuts the ISP out of the equation.