cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what exactly is the current BB+ peak limit?

scotmovie
Dabbler

From support question 21316293 re slow speeds over the last couple of weeks.
My BB+ Peak Usage 590.91MB (speed test results snipped)

reply from CS
"Looking at the usage on your account it would appear that you are making greater use of the account than it was designed for.
As usage increases you will find that the speed of the connection will be reduced as more management is applied.
I would recommend looking to upgrade your account to either the PAYG or Premier options."

So......
590.91MB peak usage, 15 days into billing period with 13 days to go, which works out at around 1GB per month peak is MORE than BB+ is designed for!

Over the last week or two the BB plus peak (advertised 4GB limit) has gone down to 1.5GB, now it appears that it is actually less than 1GB before speed management is applied.

This would explain a lot as I'm now getting way less than level 1 management speeds at all times even 02.55am, supposedly the fastest off peak time of day.
Currently

IPS 2500K (BT speedtest 03.00am, 18/2)

So Plusnet, what is the new BB+ peak limit?
Or is the CS response I received the now standard one to any speed complaint? Change your product......
34 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi

The agent who responded will have been looking at your last couple of months usage, as well as the current one.

In the last couple of months you have been on the higher end of the peak time usage scale, and that's why it was suggested that you consider a different product.
rammie1976
Grafter

BB+ current advertising spiel

"Broadband Plus is designed for 4GB usage at peak times (4pm - midnight) per month. If you think you need more than this, or you regularly use peer-to-peer, take a look at ..."

So where did you get the 1.5GB peak useage figure?

Exactly what is going to be allowed on BB+ at peak time?

I have my MAC and I'm ready to go, but my speeds have picked up again 'peak time' and the off-peak speed drop was a hardware problem. However, it seems there is still no sign of what peak useage will be allowed before slow downHuh Or is it now to be there will be a slow down whatever your useage at peak times if too many users are online? :?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

As Broadband Plus is a contended product on a shared network, designed for bursty usage rather than sustained usage and prioritised below Premier and PAYG it is possible that you won't see line speed on HTTP all the time because that's how the product is designed.
N/A

Hi,

As Broadband Plus is a contended product on a shared network, designed for bursty usage rather than sustained usage and prioritised below Premier and PAYG it is possible that you won't see line speed on HTTP all the time because that's how the product is designed.

Would you 'speak' more plainly.
I though BB+ was 4GB a month peak time, every month, month after month, without being managed.
There is a big difference between 4 and 1.
Was certainly not aware when I signed up that it was restricted to 'bursty' usage - whatever that really means. I thought the deal was 4GB then restricted.
N/A

Hi,

I though BB+ was 4GB a month peak time, every month, month after month, without being managed.
There is a big difference between 4 and 1.
Was certainly not aware when I signed up that it was restricted to 'bursty' usage - whatever that really means. I thought the deal was 4GB then restricted.

You're right, it was "designed" for 4Gb of peak useage, but PlusNet have moved the goalposts - again - because they couldn't make it work. Like you, I got my MAC and I'm off somewhere else tomorrow.
rammie1976
Grafter

I agree with frankp - its a simple question, what is the useage allowance on BB+ peak time and off peak?

Have Plusnet decided how they are going to run the service or not? Evil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Plus is a managed product, we manage the bandwidth on the network for the majority of Broadband Plus customers. The amount of bandwidth available though is finite, so when it's all in use we have to allocate priorities to that bandwidth and to which customers. That way the Broadband Plus bandwidth gives a higher priority to browsing and to email than to P2P and Usenet for example and also gives a higher priority to customers with light usage.

Bursty usage is things like browsing, email and chat; applications that use a small burst of bandwidth (a few KB as you send and receive email or load a web page). It isn't designed for sustained or large downloads.
winnipeg1823
Grafter

I have never got near the 4g limit any month. I have never received notice that I am nearing my limit.I dont do large downloads, I send very few emails, YET at peak time my speeds drop, at other times they are fine. As they say in exams, please explain
rammie1976
Grafter

Well I'm gonna take the nature of your reply as dissembling. I'll take it that +net haven't decided how much they're gonna throttle BB+ at any time but basically they can't guarentee spead or download limits.

MAC, MAC and away!!! :roll:
N/A

Broadband Plus is a managed product, we manage the bandwidth on the network for the majority of Broadband Plus customers. The amount of bandwidth available though is finite, so when it's all in use we have to allocate priorities to that bandwidth and to which customers. That way the Broadband Plus bandwidth gives a higher priority to browsing and to email than to P2P and Usenet for example and also gives a higher priority to customers with light usage.

Bursty usage is things like browsing, email and chat; applications that use a small burst of bandwidth (a few KB as you send and receive email or load a web page). It isn't designed for sustained or large downloads.

This was not clear before to me - is it new.

Just how much of the bursty 4GB peak time limit can I use before my account is restricted: 1GB, 2GB.... The reality is that at peak time I am very, very luck to get close to the old 512kps speed let alone 8MB.

I can appreciate the economics, but it feels like PN are continually moving the goal posts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The description of BB+ has always said this (or something very similar - but I'm not aware of it having changed):

Get a great-value broadband experience that's perfect for web surfing and email.

Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads.

Web surfing and email are bursty, file-sharing and large downloads are not.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rammie1976
Grafter

It also says 4gb download before throttling - but so what +net change things at will!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I have never got near the 4g limit any month. I have never received notice that I am nearing my limit.I dont do large downloads, I send very few emails, YET at peak time my speeds drop, at other times they are fine. As they say in exams, please explain

At peak times most people's speeds will decrease and that's regardless of product or even the ISP but because broadband is built on a shared network and at peak times in particular the BT network firstly is busier than off peak so speeds there will likely be lower.

For some people the effects of BT exchange contention will no low and may not be noticeable, but for others it could mean a speedtest off peak is 6Mbps but at peak less than 2Mbps.

And then from there, on Broadband Plus we've allocated a set amount of the network for Broadband Plus customers to use (about 18% or so) which is equal to the amount that Broadband Plus customers contribute to the cost of the bandwidth. If there's spare capacity within the remaining 82% then some of it will go to Broadband Plus customers, but at peak times it's likely that there isn't any extra therefore the 18% has to be allocated fairly to as many customers as possible and that may mean that some customers won't see line speed all the time at peak.

Browsing and email and VoIP and gaming should all work fine but speedtests may not show line speed and HTTP downloads may not come down at line speed because the capacity is finite and shared between all Broadband Plus customers.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Just how much of the bursty 4GB peak time limit can I use before my account is restricted: 1GB, 2GB.... The reality is that at peak time I am very, very luck to get close to the old 512kps speed let alone 8MB.

That isn't how it works, it makes more intelligent decisions than that. Ignoring speed tests for a moment what is general browsing like?

Bob put the following status update out on Friday:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1171650502.htm

so browsing should be fine but because of the way that the changes are implemented speedtests will likely show lower speeds.