cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird line setup

vic_newey
Grafter

weird line setup

I got talking to a BT contractor in our lane & asked him what was the general condition of my line as I get disconnects etc. He walked across to have a look & immediately spotted something odd .
There is one line coming across to the pole by my gate & the line then goes into a small brown box & two come out , one to me & one to my neighbour .
This he assures me is not a standard line setup & suggests I point this out to BT
as we appear to be sharing part of a line . Our new neighbour recently had b/band installed & this coinsides with the start of a big drop in SNR & line dropping
BT auto fault checker shows nothing as usual, should I get +net to contact BT on my behalf ?
6 REPLIES
N/A

weird line setup

If you are getting disconnects on a regular basis it might be as well to raise a ticket with Plus Net support, giving all required information and get them to investigate. If it warrants a visit or further checks by BT then any anomilies should be identified and rectified if necessary.
N/A

Re: weird line setup

.....There is one line coming across to the pole by my gate & the line then goes into a small brown box & two come out , one to me & one to my neighbour .
This he assures me is not a standard line setup & suggests I point this out to BT

This sounds very dodgy to me....... I would be suspicious if I discovered that set up with my connection.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

weird line setup

I'd like to suggest that it might be a DACS but they're supposed to be incompatible with broadband.
N/A

Line & BT

Hi there,

This set up does not sound odd to me. Sharing a line used to be much more common. I think it's called a party line or something like that. I thought BT had to come along and install new lines back to the nearest BT junction box to be able to run ADSL on it.

Loz
:shock:
vic_newey
Grafter

weird line setup

Its not a party line & it never has been, with those you could pick up your phone & listen to your neighbours conversation !
I have ADSL 1 meg which used to be o.k but not recently
I have raised a ticket but not sure if +net can help as this is 100% BT problem but I live in hope. Tongue
Community Veteran

weird line setup

IF your phone is working fine but your ADSL isn't, then the first port of call is a ticket as you have done to support as PlusNet are the suppliers of your Internet connection.
They will ask you to do a lot of checks before they get BT involved but they do need to be done and are for your own protection so that there is less chance of BT finding a problem with your own equipment and billing you.