Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webspace - index.html file

fonebone
Grafter

I was rigging up a webspace and I see the following instruction:

"Please ensure the first page of your site is index.html or index.htm (case sensitive)"

I was wondering why this is..? I was hoping not to edit the index.htm to "http-equiv="refresh" to the main page and just to do away with the index.htm altogether...
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Because Plusnet put a default index.html file on your webspace when it is created and the web server looks for index.htm or index.html when someone does not specify a web page (e.g. when someone just enters www.username.plus.com).

If you don't replace the index.htm/html file then if someone does just supply the base URL you will always get the default PlusNet page.
fonebone
Grafter

thanks Pete, but I'm still not quite understanding this...

I first replaced the PlusNet index.html with a quick 'Under Construction' index.html as a first upload to see if I had the ftp configured OK.

I then uploaded a page I had lying around as a quick project to just get the feel of it and that seems to be working fine:
www.username.plus.com/FirstPage.htm

So, are you saying that if I leave the FirstPage.htm there I HAVE to leave the index.htm there..? Because I have to admit if someone doesn't enter the url correctly that really isn't my concern - I'm not bothered, lol. As long as PlusNet is also not bothered in this case I would remove it.
Community Veteran

If you don't create an index.htm/htm file then people just using the base URL will get a directory listing of all your files.

If you don't want the plusnet standard page then just create an empty index.htm file and delete any index.html file, that will stop the directory listing.

It is normal practice that using your base URL should take you to your website home or index page which is why the web server looks for index.htm/html if no page is specified.
fonebone
Grafter

Ahh.. thanks Pete... I'm beginning to see reason..