cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webmail security checks, what are they all about?

Community Veteran

I'm on holiday and have been using webmail.

When did the email security checks come in that meant I have to type letters from a picture into a text box before my e-mail is sent.If i didn't want to send the mail in the first place why would I have hit send at the top of the composition box?

I sent mail from work the week before last and never had this come up.

Does this really aid security as whoever is sending the mail, if someone unauthorised does gain access, could obviously read the letters themselves and then type them in.

What purpose does it serve?

Just another step getting in the way of my goal to send the e-mail in the 1st place

Confused.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Weird.

I have no such security check. I've just tried and after pressing send it just comes up saying "Message Sent" and thats the end of it.

Image recognition is usually designed to stop automated scripts from hijacking and sending mail, in the same way that it is used to stop robots signing up to forums with lots of fake accounts.
Community Veteran

this started many many many months ago, if you sign into webmail from a non-uk ip address then you are required to do a verification when sending mail, this is due to the amount of spam that was being sent by bots from foreign addresses, which was contributing to servers being black listed

I will see if I can dig out the announcement about it
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Deleted ..posted twice
Community Veteran

Cheers,

currently connected via a UK based AOL account. Must be going abroad for some part of the connection?

A
N/A

Think you'll find AOL has IP numbering which gives you US citizenship Smiley

Pros and cons to that, though...

Some services like CinemaNow.com may allow you to register at a USA price, or you may be allowed to view forthcoming (US) TV show trailers blocked for Europeans/non-Americans.

However you may be treated as outside the UK for getting a VoIP number from sipgate.co.uk (so they'd allocate an 0870 rather than any 01xxx ot O2 xxxx xxxx numbers)... and the BBC /radio
services might block streaming content, too.
N/A

the best thing to do is find a proxy server which is open, then change your lan settinsg to go through that. Then you get its IP address and not your own. there was a website giving a list of proxies but i cant remember the URL.
Community Veteran

I'm back from holiday now so it's not an issue anymore. I was just curious as I had not come upon it using any other ISP connection.

I now gather tht this was due to them having uk IP s.

Cheers

for the feedback.

A
N/A

Think you'll find AOL has IP numbering which gives you US citizenship Smiley

Pros and cons to that, though...

Some services like CinemaNow.com may allow you to register at a USA price, or you may be allowed to view forthcoming (US) TV show trailers blocked for Europeans/non-Americans.

However you may be treated as outside the UK for getting a VoIP number from sipgate.co.uk (so they'd allocate an 0870 rather than any 01xxx ot O2 xxxx xxxx numbers)... and the BBC /radio
services might block streaming content, too.

I had that problem. Can't get a UK number from Sipgate in the UK yet all US services / websites see me as being in the UK.

Yet I still want to go back to AOL!
pacem
Grafter

the best thing to do is find a proxy server which is open

Err, don't even think about it. You are either breaking the law by accessing a computer you don't have permission to use or it may be a snooping machine which monitors every page you surf to and all the information you disclose to those pages.

Paul.<><