Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web charges

macowens
Grafter

web charges

I am confused about the charges for registration/hosting

I am on F9 BB Premier and have opted for the £1/month optional domain that is then hosted for free - fine

If I want an another (.co.uk) domain it will cost an additional £45 (is that per year?) and is hosted for free, but I can go elsewhere and register a domain for £2.59 and my BB Premier allows hosting of up to 5 domains FOC, that looks like £42.41 extra in my pocket, I could even get an external registration hosted for free saving me £9.41 per year.

Confused - join the club, but it appears to me that Force9 are far from cheap - although they do host for free.

I don't think webspace or traffic is an issue for me, the domains are just for personal use, view only.

Have I got this right, or (typically for me) am I missing something?
12 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

web charges

Hi,

You have that right, though the price for a .co.uk is £45 + VAT for two years.

The main reason behind the high prices for domains is that we're not a full domain reseller, so we're not able to price things as low as those companies that register more domains, and are able to get the large bulk discounts.
macowens
Grafter

web charges

So, can I stop paying the £1/month and seamlessly transfer this to someone else but continue to have F9 host the site?

Technically I am completely out of my depth here.

Thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

web charges

Hi,

So long as you've had the domain for more than 12 months you can transfer control of the billing (by changing the IPS Tag via the portal) to another host. This would transfer the domain out fully so if you want to continue hosting your site you'd need to re-transfer it back in for hosting only via a ticket.
macowens
Grafter

web charges

I have had it for more than 12 months but not since renewal, does your answer still apply?
Can I not transfer it back in using the other parties 'tranfer in facility" or do I have to use the F9 ticket facility - how long will that take (did you not anticipate that question) are you trying to be obtuse?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

web charges

It's 12 months since you registered the domain rather than from when it was last renewed. To transfer it back you would need to raise a ticket via Contact Us, it'd usually take around 24 hours.
N/A

web charges

(did you not anticipate that question) are you trying to be obtuse?

ob·tuse (b-ts, -tys, b-)
adj. ob·tus·er, ob·tus·est
a. Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.
b. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity: an obtuse remark.

And you are expecting help with comments like that because?
macowens
Grafter

web charges

Because I am stupid and I need help, that is why I ask questions, that is why I pay Force9 for technical support.
N/A

web charges

But there is asking questions in a way to get answered. Your condescending attitude straight away is enough to make most people say "stuff you" straight away and not help you. After all, CS are under no obligation to offer you any help on this forum as it is "unsupported".

If the problem had been going on for a while, you were being ignored or there were pages and pages of nonsense answers, then yes, you would be entitled to post your frustrations. As it is, your question was answered. It may have necessitated a further question on your behalf, but unfortunately not everyone seems to have the psyhcic powers it would seem that you have.
macowens
Grafter

web charges

What is the difference in these 2 options?

I want to point my domain (hosted here) to somewhere else, how do I do this?

How do I transfer a domain name away from Force9?

Thanks
Ben_Brown
Grafter

web charges

First you need to know the IPSTAG of the hosts you are moving the domain to.

You then need to go to the "Domain Names" section of the portal, click "transfer out" then put in the IPSTAG of the new hosts.

If that doesn't work for you, raise a ticket with the new IPSTAG on as well as the full name of the domain and we'll get it done for you.
macowens
Grafter

web charges

If I transfer in a domain to be hosted by F9, what happens with the email associated with that domain, ie www.xyz.co.uk, where do I collect postmaster@xyz.co.uk, is this seperated from my existing domain emails?

Any additional information I should know?

Thanks
JonathanW
Grafter

web charges

Hi,

Any email sent to a domain hosted on one of our accounts will be dropped into the existing mailboxes, in the same fashion as any email sent to the addresses on the account itself.