virus programs

N/A

virus programs

can anybody tell apart from norton what is the best antivirus program around
31 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

virus programs

Try reading this excellent tutorial about it. It gives the names of all the major programs.
There will be as many recommendations as there are people reading this post, but I used to use Norton and ditched it for the free AVG Antivirus, and have never looked back.
N/A

virus programs

AVG free Or you could get the 2 year licence for AVG pro from http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1 I've used this one from the begining 10 years now with absolutly no problem .there are others like PC-cillin from http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com to name but 2 .and they are both worth a look
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

virus programs

Ditto gpattison, ive been using AVG for a few years now & find it great. Regular updates & easy to setup & use.
You can find it here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
N/A

virus programs

thanks guys a great help.
N/A

virus programs

This could be the AVG fan club :lol:
rja66
Rising Star

virus programs

We should be on commission......... Cheesy
N/A

virus programs

Just to buck the trend.... if you do not mind paying a little bit (about £21 per year) F-Prot for Windows is well worth a look in my opinion it is on my wifes machine and I used it since it was F-Prot for DOS and has never let me down.
N/A

virus programs

If you can get it privately for less than an arm and a leg, then Sophos takes some beating. It's on all our work systems and just, um, works.

At home, I used Sophos while I could get the CD's (licenced for home use as well as corporate), then I switched to AVG for a while. Having dallied with the odd combined Kaspersky and BitDefender AV that Aldi sell every year, I am now using F-Prot. It's like an old friend, as I used it years ago. Not free, but $29 (£16.61 tonight) gets you protection for up to five home systems for a year, with daily (oops there goes the updater again) updates. Behaves nicely with ZoneAlarm too, which some don't.

Yes, sunhouse, me too in DOS. I used it at work as my backup to Dr Solomon's and then Sophos while I was in the support front line.
IanD
Grafter

virus programs

AVG here too. I use it to sort out the shambles that Norton leaves behind on a PC supposedly protected by it. :roll:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

virus programs

If you look at this site, which is probably the most respected test site and look at the results. Note that the "On demand proactive test" uses up to date signatures whereas the Retrospective test is using out of date signatures so is looking more at the heuristic capability of the program.
The antivirus which always has the best results is KAV using the up to date signatures whereas NOD32 has the best heuristic analyser.
At present I am beta testing the new Internet Security Suitre for Kaspersky (KIS6) and it is already producing excellent results and KAV6 similarly. Both are very light on system resources and the programs should be going on sale in a couple of months.
An additional point KAV updates every two hours approximately so the heuristic capability is less important
rja66
Rising Star

virus programs

Prior to using AVG i used Norton, my PC was prone to locking up and crashing until i uninstalled it. My new PC came with McAfee which i used happily for the 3 month trial period, it seemed to be fine and i did come close to keeping it but the thought of parting with my hard-earned put me off !!
shellsong
Grafter

virus programs

The best AV software by far at the moment is Linux! Tongue -- I've not had a single security issue since dumping Windows apart from someone trying to hack in while we sat back and laughed :lol:
N/A

virus programs

shellsong,

On that note though not everyone is as computer savvy and would know how to install linux let alone how to get on with it lol. I can install it etc but for the life of me I couldnt make do without windows. There are far too many things that I use which need windows.

Besides this I am useless with CLI which is what I would need to use to improve nix.
shellsong
Grafter

virus programs

You have a point Tom-- I'd have a tricky time if I didn't have an extremely knowledgeable son who doesn't always ignore requests for help! Cheesy Mind you sorting out Windows problems is not a trivial matter, particularly when you've got all sorts of malware knocking around

That said I don't often have to revert to a CLI with a distro like Ubuntu and I find it usually installs easier than XP and updates are painless with none of the Windows Registry problems 'cos it doesn't work that way! Wink